Pricing Change - Premier is $84 yearly

estevehannon
estevehannon Member
edited July 2022 in Before you Buy
Recently announced pricing change to $84 annually is forcing me to seek an alternative. $84 every year is very expensive software - especially in current economic conditions.

Comments

• LostUser
    LostUser Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I understand inflation and prices going up, what I don't understand is the eMail from Quicken justifying the increase by the numerous new features they have implemented.

1) What features? I have no idea what features they are talking about. I am using Quicken more often than I'd like to and haven't seen anything new that might improve my user experience.

2) To the contrary, the user experience is getting worse and worse.

3) Am nervous every time there is an update, never knowing if my file will crash or get corrupted or not. Had to spend much time rebuilding, but at least I am now getting better at backing up on a much more regular basis.

4) I rarely had issues with downloading, but now that Quicken is automatically milking my savings account with their mandatory subscription, [Removed - Speculation] downloading is getting a hit or miss. Sometimes not downloading anything, sometimes downloading already downloaded transactions, sometimes missing a few transactions, sometimes not connecting at all with the cryptic "not your fault" message [Removed - Sarcasm/Disruptive]

5) And worse, had many instances where reconciling towards online balance was nearly impossible....due to Quicken Download mysteriously going back to change the initial starting account balance. [Removed - Sarcasm]

6) Customer support: No comments!

Not excited about having to pay more for less!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are now marketing to the monthly aware folks - but totally billed on an annual basis -
    Only you can judge if it is worth to purchase a yearly subscription of Quicken to help run your finances ?
    BUT - if you don't use any of the online features, or downloads - and can put up with a stolen screen space - don't renew.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
     especially in current economic conditions.
    As in you mean when inflation is high?
    And of course, that inflation doesn't hit Quicken Inc, right?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I just bought Quicken Deluxe at Office Depot for $42.00+tax, used activation code and extended my subscription for another year.
    Now good till 11/30/2023.
    It looks like Staples and Best Buy are offering the same deal, $10.00 offer of DVD version old pricing.  
    Make sure it doesn't say for New User.
    Office Depot sale ends 6/18/2022.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    I don't know how long this will last but for the past 4 years, Sam's Club puts Quicken on sale once a year for almost half off.  The sale usually happens at the end of the year, but this year it happened in February.  My subscription renewal date is in October, so I wait until May to enter the activation key.  This has always worked for me flawlessly.  I am always looking for deals.  But if I ever had to buy it at full price I would without hesitancy.  Quicken is the most important piece of software I have.  My biggest concern about Quicken is not the price, it is about Quicken always being around for me to use.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    LostUser said:
    I understand inflation and prices going up, what I don't understand is the eMail from Quicken justifying the increase by the numerous new features they have implemented.

Just because you didn't notice them, or because they have been overshadowed by the problems that have come out doesn't mean they aren't there.  Look back at the release notice for a year.  And just because they might be features you don't use doesn't mean they didn't spend time on them and hopefully are useful for others.
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

Personally, I don't really put much stock in what they say to justify the price.  They have to say something, and I doubt any marketing guys are going to say things like "We are raising the price because our costs have gone up."  Or "We are raising the price because the people that own us want more money."   Or "We are raising our price because we can."

They aren't lying when they post their justifications, they are just putting out what they feel will go over better for people.  Like changing the webpage to show the per month rate, or stating that it is $4.99 instead of $5.00, marketing will always try to spin things in hopes to get the best results.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    They have to say something, and I doubt any marketing guys are going to say things like "We are raising the price because our costs have gone up."  Or "We are raising the price because the people that own us want more money."   Or "We are raising our price because we can."
    Or: "In this inflationary period, we have had to increase salaries for programmers, designers, phone support staff, office staff, etc. in order to retain the important members of our team who keep the company and its products moving forward." Or "In this period of high inflation, our rent, electricity, packaging and distribution, and cloud server costs have all increased between 10 and 15%." Companies just don't lay out such details.

Or, as Chris suggests, because they look at the competitive marketplace and feel they can raise prices because their competitors have, too. (On the Mac side, for instance, the product which most directly competes with Quicken — I'm not allowed to name it here, but it's "a four letter word for a financial institution where you deposit and withdraw money" + the last three syllables of of "activity" — is now priced at $50, $70 and $100/year for their three tiers versus Quicken's $42, $60 and $84 for their three comparable tiers. ;) )
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.