Scotiabank Accounts Still Changing to US Dollars

grimmt1957
grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
My-oh-my, all of the Scotiabank discussions on this appear to have been closed. Does anyone have any updates?

I verified today, with a new Quicken file, that the problem continues to occur. I sent a new Problem Report as a result.

A review of of the issue:
Manual QFX downloads set up Canadian Currency and manual updates retain Canadian Currency state. As soon as Express Web Direct is enabled, the accounts flip to US Currency. The problem appears to occur on Savings, Checking (aka Chequing), and Equity Credit accounts; Credit Card and Line of Credit accounts appear to be fine and retain the Canadian Currency state.

I simply cannot believe that this issue would take so many months to resolve - does anyone know if there is still work being done on this? I'm concerned that it may be dropping of of the radar due to all the discussions being closed and falling down the active list.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide on this.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    My-oh-my, all of the Scotiabank discussions on this appear to have been closed. Does anyone have any updates?

I verified today, with a new Quicken file, that the problem continues to occur. I sent a new Problem Report as a result.

A review of of the issue:
    Manual QFX downloads set up Canadian Currency and manual updates retain Canadian Currency state. As soon as Express Web Direct is enabled, the accounts flip to US Currency. The problem appears to occur on Savings, Checking (aka Chequing), and Equity Credit accounts; Credit Card and Line of Credit accounts appear to be fine and retain the Canadian Currency state.

I simply cannot believe that this issue would take so many months to resolve - does anyone know if there is still work being done on this? I'm concerned that it may be dropping of of the radar due to all the discussions being closed and falling down the active list.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide on this.
    Hello @grimmt1957,          

I am sorry about this issue with incorrect currency being displayed. Thank you for checking in with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

We are aware of this issue and we have forwarded all available information to the proper channels. It is being investigated at the moment, and although our teams are working toward a resolution, we cannot provide an ETA regarding this. I wish that I had more updates to provide, but this is the situation as it stands. It may help us in our efforts if you submit log files regarding this issue by navigating to Help > Report a Problem in the upper menu at the top of the screen, and then include screenshots of the issue along with a brief description. Keep in mind that these files will be used purely for investigative purposes and you will not receive a response through this submission.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jared.

As mentioned, I did submit a new problem report (i.e. Report a Problem).

The US Currency is not simply a display issue. The US Currency state of an account causes exchange rates to be applied to all planning and budget reports, and transfers between accounts (i.e. an erroneous US dollar payment to a CAN credit card account). I cannot properly monitor my overall finances as my totals can be off by 25% and can fluctuate daily.

Therefore, I need to manually download a QFX file for every scotia account every few days to allow me to properly monitor my accounts and current financial situation.

I do hope this gets resolved sooner than later.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    FYI: The new Quicken version R41.10 does not change Scotiabank account behavour.
    Activating Express Web Connect still switches Scotiabank accounts to US Currency and manual downloads continue to work properly.

I tested with a new Quicken file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If I understand the problem correctly the real fix needs to come from Scotiabank.

QFX files have the currency in them.  If that currency is USD then Quicken Canadian is going to go with that and change the account currency to USD.

It this is the case then only possible bug in Quicken is that it really shouldn’t allow changing the currency, but that would also mean not accepting the transactions.  As in if you are in CAD account and the QFX file says that it has USD transactions, those transactions should be blocked because they are the wrong currency.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if there is a way to log the data retrieved by Express Web Connect for viewing?

The manually downloaded QFX files definitely have <CURDEF> set to CAD and these work fine.

I suppose there is a chance that Scotiabank provides a different value when using the Express Web Connect interface. I assume Scotiabank would leverage the same backend QFX generation code using either interface, but then that is purely an assumption - which is almost always wrong.
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Preferences provides an option on Web Connect to "Give me the option of saving to a file whenever I download Web Connect data", but this does not appear to work for me.

By default, the Help->Contact Support->Logs->OFX log file does not capture all of the data when setting up the bank accounts.

Is there a way to enable tracing?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm just getting back to this.  Now that I understand that Web Connect (importing the QFX file) works, but Express Web Connect is what is messing up it is far from clear where the problem lies and finding it and proving who it at fault is far from straightforward.

The flow for Express Web Connect is:
    Quicken -> QCS (Quicken Connection Services which "sync" to the Quicken Cloud dataset) -> Intuit server -> Financial institution's website.

Working backwards.  Intuit and the financial institution agree upon a method and format that Intuit will log into the financial intuition's website and get the transaction data. They never discuss what methods they use for a given financial institution.  It could be the very same "generated QFX" and as such should be the same as what you get in the QFX file.  It this is the case the most likely cause would be the financial institution generating the QFX data for Intuit incorrectly.  But the very fact that this is happens sort suggest that they agreed on a different format.  We as users will never know.

Between QCS and Intuit they have some kind of APIs to exchange the data.  From there it is "synced" to the Quicken data file.

As such Quicken's log for this is the Cloud Sync Log.
    Help -> Contact Support -> Log Files -> Cloud Sync Log

This log file is very unstructured, more a program's dump of what is going on.  So, it is very hard to follow.  And top of that it probably recording the wrong part of this process.  It is recording the sync between Quicken and QCS, whereas most likely the import part is the communication between the Intuit server and the financial institution's server.

Looking back at the history of people reporting this problem, it has been going on for a very long time.
    If everyone is reporting this problem through Customer Support or (Help -> Report a problem...)  Quicken Inc and Intuit should be very aware of this problem, and the fact that it hasn't be fixed yet suggest at least one of the parties in this is dropping the ball.

Pressure from Scotiabank to get it fixed might help too.
    Signature:
  • grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for that explanation Chris.

I thought the Cloud Sync log was only for Mobile/Web data, which I don't have enabled.

Looking at the Cloud Sync log, I definitely see the issue:
    The accounts that changed to USD show "currency" set to "USD", and the accounts that remained CAD show "currency" set to "CAD".

I am going to guess that the issue is with Scotiabank so I'll contact them.

I've sanitized the following json data from the Cloud Sync file showing the problem:

{"institutionLoginId":"***","mode":"DISCOVER_AND_ADD_ACCOUNTS","status":"OK","aggregators":
    [{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","aggStatus":"DISCOVERED_ACCOUNTS_READY_FOR_USER","isProcessing":false}],
    "accounts":
    [
    {"aggregators":[{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","cpLoginId":"***","cpDetails":{"type":"BANK","subType":"SAVINGS","name":"ScotiaAcctName1","maskedNumber":"***","balance":***,"availableBalance":***,"balanceAt":"<date>","currency":"USD","aggStatus":"OK"}}]},
    {"aggregators":[{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","cpLoginId":"***","cpDetails":{"type":"CREDIT","subType":"CREDIT_CARD","name":"ScotiaAcctName2","maskedNumber":"***","balance":***,"balanceAt":"<date>","currency":"CAD","aggStatus":"OK"}}]},
    {"aggregators":[{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","cpLoginId":"***","cpDetails":{"type":"CREDIT","subType":"CREDIT_CARD","name":"ScotiaAcctName3","maskedNumber":"***","balance":***,"balanceAt":"<date>","currency":"USD","aggStatus":"OK"}}]},
    {"aggregators":[{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","cpLoginId":"***","cpDetails":{"type":"CREDIT","subType":"CREDIT_CARD","name":"ScotiaAcctName4","maskedNumber":"***","balance":***,"balanceAt":"<date>","currency":"CAD","aggStatus":"OK"}}]},
    {"aggregators":[{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","cpLoginId":"***","cpDetails":{"type":"BANK","subType":"CHECKING","name":"ScotiaAcctName5","maskedNumber":"***","balance":***,"availableBalance":***,"balanceAt":"<date>","currency":"USD","aggStatus":"OK"}}]},
    {"aggregators":[{"channel":"FDP_DEFAULT","cpId":"***","cpLoginId":"***","cpDetails":{"type":"CREDIT","subType":"CREDIT_CARD","name":"ScotiaAcctName6","maskedNumber":"***","balance":***,"balanceAt":"<date>","currency":"USD","aggStatus":"OK"}}]}],
    "isProcessing":false}
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good work.  Hopefully you can make some progress on this issue.
    Signature:
  • gailgosse7
    gailgosse7 Member
    I am having the same problem. It all started about April 2022. I have reported it to Quicken and to Scotiabank.
  • DaveBlakemore
    DaveBlakemore Member ✭✭
    I am also having the same problem. 2 Questions: 1, how did you report it to Scotiabank and did you get any response, I would like to add my voice. and 2, is there a workaround. Do I understand the problem correctly. If you download the transactions manually and then import it works ok?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue is a bug that has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

Thank you!
    (CTP-3804)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• grimmt1957
    grimmt1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @DaveBlakemore
    I used the Scotiabank online "Communications Centre" to send a message with Online Banking as the subject. I provided a description of the problem and highlighted that it impacts _all_ Canadian Quicken users with Scotiabank accounts. I also noted the message needs to go to their Online Banking Development Team.

I did receive a response thanking me of my input and that it was forwarded to the team.

I'm still waiting for further feedback.

With respect to your question on a workaround:
    Back up your Quicken file before continuing.

Note: You cannot convert an existing account with incorrect USD currency back to CAD currency.

You can download a Scotiabank QFX file and when you import it into quicken, when asked: create a new account rather than link to the existing account. The newly created account will be in CAD currency. <<- never allow Quicken to use the Express Web Connect feature on this account.

You will be able to manually download further Scotiabank QFX file updates and import them into the newly created account (Quicken should automatically know where to import the transactions now). The account will remain in CAD currency.
  • I am having a similar issue. My transactions from Scotiabank chequing and savings accounts are down loading into Quicken with the correct Canadian values the banking site but are reported with different values in the available spending reports .It appears like they are being uplifted as if Quicken sees them as US funds being converted to Canadian in the report features of Quicken. Looking for a timely support as I may have to cancel membership if I cannot solve.
This discussion has been closed.