Citizens Bank Snafu

actuary314
actuary314 Member ✭✭
I've been using Quicken for about 25 years, and I love it. But my problem with the Citizens Bank download is more severe than the transactions not downloading. When I switched from Direct Connect to Web Connect, most or all of my running balances got messed up. The problem occurred when I imported the transactions and linked them to my existing account. I have about 3,700 transactions in my checking account. I restored the file to an earlier (correct) version, but now have to input prospective transactions manually. I read a pre-6/15/22 post with the same problem (which I now can't find) so I decided to wait until today to do the conversion. I realize now that this was a mistake, but is there a fix for this? I've been a Citizens Bank customer for a very long time, and don't want to switch banks. But when I tried to contact them prior to 6/15, no one there could answer a basic question. (As a direct connect user, did I have to switch?)

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Anytime you change download methods or re-establish an Express Web Connect method, there is a chance of getting duplicate transactions since the FITID (unique ID of transactions to prevent dups) could have changed (especially with EWC restarts), so you have to be careful with the first download.
    After that, everything should work as expected.  Lately, Q has been changing the Opening Balance of a register at this changeover, so we have been suggesting to users to enter the correct Opening Balance in the Memo field of that transaction for reference to see if it was changed imappropriately.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Splasher- you nailed it for me. The problem with my running balances was caused by Quicken changing my opening (CY 2009) balance. When I changed that to the correct amount and did not import duplicate transactions, everything balanced! Additionally, the system changed my connection method to EXPRESS Web Connect, and contrary to the Citizens Bank instruction letter, that seemed to work. I.e., I got new downloads without having to import a .QFX file from the Citizens site!
    Great.  Now, I hope you go into EVERY account and put the Opening Balance in the memo field for when Q does this to any of your other accounts.  It seems ridiculous to have to do it, but an ounce of prevention can save you a bunch of time later.

• actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    FURTHER UPDATE - After changing my settings, I can once again include Citizens Bank in my one-step-update using EXPRESS Web Connect. Hopefully, others can get the same result and will not have to switch banks.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really mean you switched from Direct Connect to Web Connect?  Web connect is where you go to the FI's website and manually download a .QFX file.  The Account List (Tools menu) will show which download method is truly established for the account.

• @actuary314 - in regard to your last question, I think the answer is no.  From what I understand Citizens Bank is no longer offering Direct Connect to new customers as of 6/1/2022, but existing customers would be grandfathered in.  I would first confirm this with the bank, and then switch back to Direct Connect.  I would also restore a backup file from before you started this conversion process.  Hopefully you made a backup right before started to make the changes.
  • actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    Thank you Splasher and Damian for your quick responses. In response to Splasher, when I followed Citizen's instructions, the system actually switched me to Express Web Connect. However, the instructions said to go to Citizen's website and download a .QFX file, so that's what I did. As you stated, I established a Web Connect connection in doing this.

In response to Damian, Citizens said to contact them with any questions, but they don't give a contact name or email address. When I tried to contact them, nobody could answer the question as to whether I could continue to use Direct Connect. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get this question answered correctly? But let's say they eventually tell me I can switch back to Direct Connect. When I restored the file to the pre-conversion state, I wasn't given the option of Direct Connect, only Express Web Connect. Can you tell me how I switch back to Direct Connect? To recap, two questions: How do I get my question answered, and how do I switch back to Direct Connect?

Thanks so much to both of you.
  • @actuary314 - I have now definitely confirmed now that Citizens Bank is only offering Web Connect.  Sorry for the misinformation in my earlier response.  The first post I read about this at the end of April gave indication that existing customers would be grandfathered in.  I went and did further research this morning and found the actual letter that Citizen's Bank sent to customers.  I also double checked the Financial Institution list that Quicken uses and confirmed that Web Connect is the only option for Citizens Bank. 

If you still are issues from the conversion to Web Connect, and you have a good backup, I would recommend:
    • Restore a good backup from before the conversion
    • Go into Account Details for each account you have with Citizens Bank and deactivate online services.
    • Go to your online account with Citizens Bank and download your transactions again making sure that older transactions are matched up with transactions in your register.
    Otherwise, hopefully it won't take too long to resolve your issues and get your register straightened out.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Anytime you change download methods or re-establish an Express Web Connect method, there is a chance of getting duplicate transactions since the FITID (unique ID of transactions to prevent dups) could have changed (especially with EWC restarts), so you have to be careful with the first download.
    After that, everything should work as expected.  Lately, Q has been changing the Opening Balance of a register at this changeover, so we have been suggesting to users to enter the correct Opening Balance in the Memo field of that transaction for reference to see if it was changed imappropriately.

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @Splasher - Citizens Bank does not offer Express Web Connect only Web Connect.
  • digitalmediaphile
    digitalmediaphile Member ✭✭✭
    Citizens sent letters to Quicken and Quickbook users. They basically have stopped supporting OSU inside of Quicken. Only Web Connect is supported which requires downloading from their online banking site. The latest fidir.txt from Quicken now reflects this abandonment of Quicken users. I've been in the process of changing banks as a result.
  • actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    Splasher- you nailed it for me. The problem with my running balances was caused by Quicken changing my opening (CY 2009) balance. When I changed that to the correct amount and did not import duplicate transactions, everything balanced! Additionally, the system changed my connection method to EXPRESS Web Connect, and contrary to the Citizens Bank instruction letter, that seemed to work. I.e., I got new downloads without having to import a .QFX file from the Citizens site!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @actuary314 and @splasher, please accept my apologies, from all of the documentation I could find, and the connection set up documented in Quicken, the only connection method for Citizens Bank is "Web Connect", but clearly that is not the case.  Very strange.

@actuary314 - Glad everything worked out for you in spite of all the confusion.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Great.  Now, I hope you go into EVERY account and put the Opening Balance in the memo field for when Q does this to any of your other accounts.  It seems ridiculous to have to do it, but an ounce of prevention can save you a bunch of time later.

• actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    UPDATE - Damian, you were correct. The one-step-update using Express Web Connect for Citizens Bank was a one-time deal. I now have to download from the Citizens site, i.e., vanilla Web Connect.
  • actuary314
    actuary314 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    FURTHER UPDATE - After changing my settings, I can once again include Citizens Bank in my one-step-update using EXPRESS Web Connect. Hopefully, others can get the same result and will not have to switch banks.
  • JoeZ412
    JoeZ412 Member ✭✭
    This was all very confusing - I dont know if Quicken or Citizens was reaponsible, but that was the impression I got as weelll, that we'd have to download the files manully from the web site and import them.

That doesnt seem to be the case, but I've just figured out the opening balance changing issue, havent yet caught up, as I've backed up and restored the file about five times today while working on the initial express web connect download and frankly I'm sick of it. Really dissatisfied with this process.
This discussion has been closed.