Ongoing Data Integrity Issues

trwiedm
trwiedm Member ✭✭
I'm on the latest version of Quicken Deluxe running Windows 10 on Parallels for Mac. I keep deleting a faulty transaction involving a closed account. The transaction keeps appearing, even after I delete it. That happens every couple weeks. I've run the validation tool multiple times. This frequently makes the transaction reappear. I've now noticed that a number of categories have been deleted from other transactions - typically ones involving either splits or transfers. These are hard to correct when they involve closed accounts, because those accounts no longer show up in the drop down boxes. These repeated issues are causing great concern about the long term viability/safety of my data. Thanks for any feedback/ideas.

Comments

• trwiedm
    trwiedm Member ✭✭
    A related issue that's occurred just recently is a transfer transaction from years ago no longer matches in the affected accounts - the totals are different. How can two "
    sides" of a matched transaction not have the same total?
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @trwiedm,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Since you stated you have already tried validating if you haven't already, I suggest you try super validating your data file instead. However, I recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• trwiedm
    trwiedm Member ✭✭
    Thank you Anja. I ran the super Validation. We will see if the faulty transaction reappears. Unfortunately, this didn't repair the transfer transactions that were incorrectly modified. As a result, I have a number of uncategorized transactions. When I go the to transaction in the transferred account and try to edit it, I get a message that the "transfer transaction is to an account that no longer exists in Quicken". How can I correct these?
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for your response.

If you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error you're getting? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• trwiedm
    trwiedm Member ✭✭
    Here is the error message. The transaction directly above it is a transfer to my cash account. The transactions is still in my cash account, but the category is empty.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for following up and providing the screenshot!

Next, I suggest that you try creating a copy of your data file which will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

If the issue is not resolved in the copied file either, then feel free to switch back to your original file.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at your DATA_LOG.TXT file, found in the folder %APPDATA%\Quicken\Log.
    If that log file contains the entry "Damaged data block", your file is damaged beyond repair.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.