Quicken and Windows 11

Big Al
Big Al Member ✭✭
I have had numerous discussions, screen share sessions, etc. and have not received any resolutions. I have determined that it is an issue with running Quicken on windows 11.
I created a new Quicken file and added one account and added one bill on the bills screen. Closed and reopened Quicken , went to the bills screen and just hovered the cursor over the bill and Quicken crashed. I have sent numerous crash dumps to Quicken to no avail.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Big Al said:
    I have determined that it is an issue with running Quicken on windows 11.
    Many users have been running it on Win11 including myself since June 2021 beta days without any issues.  And Quicken is officially supporting Win11 OS.  Adding more question to the list above:
    - What version of Quicken are you running?
    - Which .Net Framework is enabled/disabled in Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off?
    - Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken program, and then applying the Mondo patch from here?  On rare occasions the program update partially fails to fully install all the files and the Mondo patch resolves that.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Big Al
    Big Al Member ✭✭
    The path for the quicken file is C:Users>xxxxx>documents>
    I have installed the mondo patch
    Net Framework 4.8 advanced services
    Quicken R 41.10 Build 27.1.41.10
    Drashes with controlled folder access enabled or disabled

I have been running on windows 11 beta with no problems until beginning of May. I did install a new hdr monitor and graphics card. Quicken crashes when using hdr is on or off
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    @Big Al Enable .Net Framework 3.5 and see if that resolves it for you.  Worth the try as that did resolve some issues for a few users.

Adding: Just noticed that you said it started beginning of May.  My guess is that it is the Windows patch update of May 10 (KB5013943).  There are many reports on this and here are couple of links that may resolve it.  Pretty much same solution as the screenshot above.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Big Al
    Big Al Member ✭✭
    I turned net 3.5 on but that didn"t help. Thanks for helping.
  • k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, installing the Mondo patch seems to have helped me.
  • k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    I spoke too soon... Quicken is practically crashing within seconds of opening. :(

It appears to be due to the UI getting stuck. The new Home screen only partially finishes animating some of the graphs - and that seems to be the sign that it's going to crash soon.

I do have a very large file, which might be a factor?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access — Quicken Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Hung during OSU, Crash at Startup or other unexplainable malfunctions in Quicken for Windows

Please verify this:

In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder, typically C:\Windows\Temp or  C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
    If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ e.g., C:\Temp (or create one) and reboot Windows.

If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk and change the TEMP and TMP variables
    If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

• k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I seem to be noticing an interesting trend... When I run a VPN to my work, Quicken tends to open successfully.

Makes me wonder if there might just be a bug that is making a request on launch, and is just assuming the request will be slow enough to allow something to get initialized/setup, but with a fast enough internet/network connection (I have 500 MB/s), maybe that request sometimes completes before everything is ready??

Makes me want to try opening with no internet, tomorrow, and see if that tends to be successful...

(just opened at least 10 times in a row, and not until I opened AFTER connecting VPN did it finally seem to open okay)

For those not seeing this problem, this is not 100%...some days it seems to be about 50%, and some 99%. But that makes me point to some sort of bug in Quicken, not a data file problem, or a windows configuration problem...

[Removed - Disruptive/Profanity]...just trying to contribute information to hopefully make it better.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @k_man81 ,
    please tell me more about your computer. Is this a new computer which came with Windows 11 pre-installed? Or did you upgrade an older system to Windows 11?
    How much RAM do you have on your computer?
    When everything you normally run, i.e., your browser, email, other important apps, and then you start Quicken ... what does Windows Task Manager say about the percent usage of RAM memory? How much RAM is used? 60, 70, >80%? And what is your C: - drive doing at this time? Running 100% busy for long periods of time? Performing more paging I/O than "real work"?
  • k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    So, not the most scientific or complete evidence, but I did try to start Quicken on my Windows 11 machine with the ethernet cable unplugged today:
    * 1st try, started up just fine, no crash. But, as soon as I plugged the cable back in (seconds after launch), Quicken just died (didn't even get the "crash report" dialog
    * 2nd try, started up just fine, no crash. Waited about 30 seconds, then plugged the cable in, and everything worked fine

@UKR - answering your questions:
    * Work laptop, but I believe it came with Windows 11
    * 32 GB of RAM
    * Using just 41% of Memory
    * C drive wasn't doing any significant processing

So...for any Quicken moderators watching...seems like there might be something about some initial transactions being run on launch that might be causing issues for some of us running on Windows 11. Might involve having a large file (I have 17 years of data, and my file is 304 MB), along with a really fast network/internet connection??

Just trying to throw ideas out there to hopefully help someone resolve this...

-Thanks!
  • k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    To add more info... Started the day with it crashing as soon as it was opened, turned off WiFi, opened up just fine, waited about 10 seconds, turned WiFi back on, and Quicken continue to work great the rest of the day.
  • k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    Good news...

With the latest Quicken release, I've successfully opened 3 times without issue....
  • k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm at 4/6...

The failures were after a crash. So, got it to open successfully by deleting my temp files.
This discussion has been closed.