"Invalid Credentials" - when using Quicken outside of US ?

Hello,

I just downloaded the Quicken Deluxe Desktop application for Windows, several times. However, when I try to log in, I keep getting the following message: Invalid Credentials.
Do you need help signing in?

I have changed my password multiple times, but the issue continues. I can log in on the website and via the web-based application, but I get the error message when I try to log in on the desktop application

I am using quicken for a long time ago, I am living in Mexico, but since last week, I am facing this problem.

I will appreciate any help with this issue.

Best Regards

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and report this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have passed this along to our teams and this is being investigated further. However, in the meantime, our team wants to know if this issue is possibly caused by too many login attempts which would cause a security screening block requiring you to have to wait 24 hours to log in again. To test this, we advise that if the issue persists, to please not attempt logging in again for 24 to 48 hours.

If the issue still persists after 24 to 48 hours with no login attempt, then please contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance and possible escalation if they see fit.

Thank you!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    [EDIT] - also - there are now TWO different "credentials" topic threads -
    - one for users in domestic US
    - one for users outside US
    please try and post in the appropriate topic to help the Quicken support folks follow each area -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

I just downloaded the Quicken Deluxe Desktop application for Windows, several times. However, when I try to log in, I keep getting the following message: Invalid Credentials.
    Do you need help signing in?

I have changed my password multiple times, but the issue continues. I can log in on the website and via the web-based application, but I get the error message when I try to log in on the desktop application

I am using quicken for a long time ago, I am living in Mexico, but since last week, I am facing this problem.

I will appreciate any help with this issue.

Best Regards
    Hello @CarlosLopez,

I am sorry to hear about this problem with credentials being accepted during the sign-in process. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance.

First, have you attempted to make use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for the purposes of connecting with a United States IP address? If not, this may be something to consider. I would be eager to hear about your results.

Hope to hear back from you soon, should you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • CarlosLopez
    CarlosLopez Member ✭✭
    Hello Jared,

I am being a "Quicken" user for a long time ago in Mexico without any problem, Has Quicken changed its policies? it start happening this problem last week.

I have paid one more license of Quicken Deluxe with a different user, but the result is the same. During this process, Quicken never inform me I can not use any more in Mexico

I can log in on the website and via the web-based application, but I get the error message when I try to log in on the desktop application

I hope you can help me.

Best Regards,
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Jared,

I am being a "Quicken" user for a long time ago in Mexico without any problem, Has Quicken changed its policies? it start happening this problem last week.

I have paid one more license of Quicken Deluxe with a different user, but the result is the same. During this process, Quicken never inform me I can not use any more in Mexico

I can log in on the website and via the web-based application, but I get the error message when I try to log in on the desktop application

I hope you can help me.

Best Regards,
    Hello @CarlosLopez

Thank you for continuing to discuss this with me.

No changes have been made to Quicken policies, and the Quicken software should be operable within Mexico. The information about the effectiveness of the Virtual Private Network and utilizing a different IP address will be helpful in isolating possible causes of this problem. 

I hope to hear more about this from you in the future, and I hope to continue working with you on this problem.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using a VPN to access any of these Quicken resources ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• CarlosLopez
    CarlosLopez Member ✭✭
    Hello Ps56k2, I am not using VPN, I have turned off my firewall and antivirus and the results continue same
  • CarlosLopez
    CarlosLopez Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2

I am using Quicken Deluxe
  • riccardop
    riccardop Member
    I have exactly the same problem.After hours on the phone with support I still have the same: after changing psw I still have "Invalid Credentials". I have a MAC with Parallels and use the Windows version of Quicken: on Windows I cannot log in even on the Quicken.com web site. On MAC Safari...it works.
    When I change psw it is recognized by the MAC not in Windows. No VPN, no proxy server, reloaded Quicken software...no change!! HELP
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

If you are getting "Oops, something went wrong" or "Check Internet Connection" …

• Have you recently enabled a VPN?
      If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.
    • Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    • Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
      Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work, e.g., in McAfee Firewall,
      one user states "By editing the Quicken Firewall entry Selecting Incoming and Outgoing, and changing it from "Default" to "Open to all devices" it now works without having to turn off the entire firewall!"
      If necessary, contact the Antivirus / Firewall vendor's Support Center.
    • In older Windows systems go to Windows Control Panel and select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
      Click the Advanced tab.
      Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices.
      Turn off "Use SSL 3.0"
      Click Apply.
    • If all else fails: Try rebooting your network router. When done reboot your PC
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    Exact same thing here. Reinstalled Quicken after doing a Windows 10 reinstall. Always get "Invalid Credentials" when logging in. The credentials work fine when logging into the Quicken website with a web browser (Firefox in my case). This needs immediate attention! Can't use the software I'm paying a subscription for at all until this is fixed!
  • JosephA
    JosephA Member
    edited July 2022
    Can't sign-in since Friday. After Quicken is open, my quicken ID is requested and I get wrong credential response.
    I have changed the PW but issue remain,
    I have two accounts and it is the same problem on windows 10 and MAC.
    I am out of the US. I never had this problem. Tried a VPN in case this is a non US IP issue - no luck!
  • JosephA
    JosephA Member
    An additional issue is the web sign-in. I can sign-in at one computer but after I sign-out, I can't sign-in at another computer or iPhone - same things "Wrong Credentials"

I still can sign in at the first computer!
  • docnortham
    docnortham Member
    I have the same issue. Started with the last update. I also live overseas and get the same messages. I called customer support and talked to an agent for quite some time. The only answer I was able to get was that you do not have access if you live overseas. The VPN solution was suggested, but does not work. As of now, I have no solution. Sorry I cannot help.
  • docnortham
    docnortham Member
    I have just been informed by Quicken Support that this is a wide-spread issue. They refer to it as a sign-in loop. They have been working on a fix since June 10. They have not fixed and have not ETA, but there is a page about this at this link: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914687/new-6-10-22-windows-users-sign-in-loop/p1?new=1.

Not very satisfying, but at least I can stop holding to talk to a person. None of the people I have spoken with are aware of this issue. Very strange.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if all these - "Wrong Credentials" - are related to access from outside the US ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Yossiat
    Yossiat Member
    I wrote the first post, but I can't login to the web after I cleared the browser cookies (support advice...). So I am registered as a new user with another email.

The issue is not only with Quicken for Windows, It is at my Quicken on MAC as well (I have two subscriptions).

I have used quicken outside the US for 20 years with no problem until last Friday.

I can't sign to the web (quicken.com) once I change browser or device!

The link about sign-in-loop mention Windows user, but I have the issue with MAC as well.
  • Yossiat
    Yossiat Member
    The problem is related to non-US IP address. Sign-in is possible via a VPN.
    It is a new thing. Quicken never limited quicken for users residing in the US.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems folks are seeing problems with "Credentials" when using Quicken outside of the US -
    Please comment if you are using Quicken outside of the US....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sfordjasiri
    sfordjasiri Member ✭✭
    I am in New Zealand. (On a Mac.) I am trying to renew my subscription. I have been unable to login to Quicken for days. I've tried changing the password, which "works". It tells me to login again, which I try to do, but then I get the "invalid credentials" error. If I create a brand new account with a new email, that account will work until I log out, and then I am unable to log back in again.

I deleted Quicken from computer and reinstalled it. I am logged in via the browser to myaccount.quicken.com, but am unable to get the Quicken application to recognize my account. So basically, I have paid for a subscription which I cannot use. Each year Quicken gets harder and harder to use. This might be my last year of dealing with this.
  • sfordjasiri
    sfordjasiri Member ✭✭
    I am in New Zealand. (On a Mac.) I am trying to renew my subscription. I have been unable to login to Quicken for days. I've tried changing the password, which "works". It tells me to login again, which I try to do, but then I get the "Invalid Credentials" error. The website login works, but not when doing it via the Quicken application.

The basic order is this:

Start Quicken application.
    Enter Quicken ID and password.
    See the "Invalid Credentials. Do you need help signing in?" error.
    Click the "Do you need help signing in?" link.
    Enter the same ID and password.
    (Note, there is no complaint about me using the same password again.)
    See the "Password updated. Please sign in." message.
    Enter the same password I just entered.
    See the "Invalid Credentials. Do you need help signing in?" error.

So the above just repeats.

The same thing happens logging into quicken.com *IF* I use an incognito Chrome browser.

If I login out and login using my normal Chrome browser, the login on quicken.com works fine. So, I suspect the issue has something to do with something being added to the header of the HTTP request that the login process makes. The incognito (or application) does not add that same information. (Perhaps that is what the "Invalid Credentials." refers to.)

This should be enough information for someone at Quicken support to know what is going on with people that are having this problem.
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    Interesting. So regular browser mode works but private mode doesn't. Cookies or HTTP header perhaps the culpret. Good sleuthing... Quicken team, please get this working again QUICKLY
  • sfordjasiri
    sfordjasiri Member ✭✭
    > @elisimpson said:
    > Interesting. So regular browser mode works but private mode doesn't. Cookies or HTTP header perhaps the culpret. Good sleuthing... Quicken team, please get this working again QUICKLY

Just to be clear... I still cannot use the Quicken application on my Mac. Next step is to try a password that has a mixture of case and some numbers, and wait 3 hours. Changing the password to something like, "abcdefgh" works fine, but the Quicken application and incognito browsers still give me the "Invalid Credentials" error. The "wait 3 hours" advice didn't make a difference for me, but maybe a complicated password and waiting 3 hours will make the difference.
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    I can log in fine with my user/password on the Quicken website, using Firefox and non-private mode... it only doesn't work within the Quicken (Windows) desktop application. It looks like the same webpage for both, just embedded in the app, so it's something specific about how they're handling the application vs the webpage.

5 days and counting not being able to access my software. HURRY UP WITH THE FIX QUICKEN!!
  • sfordjasiri
    sfordjasiri Member ✭✭
    In case anyone is having similar problems, using a "secure" password that contains lower and upper case and numbers, and waiting 3 hours doesn't fix the problem.
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    Yes, it doesn't have to do with the password. My password works fine when logging in the website in a browser. It only doesn't work logging in to the Quicken application. There's something messed up with the application's connection to the login server.
  • elisimpson
    elisimpson Member ✭✭
    > @Yossiat said:
    > The problem is related to non-US IP address. Sign-in is possible via a VPN.
    > It is a new thing. Quicken never limited quicken for users residing in the US.

I'm outside the US, but using a VPN doesn't work for me. It fails with or without the VPN
  • Thilina
    Thilina Member
    edited July 2022
    I installed Quicken and tried to sign-in to the account. Then, received this error message.
    Tried a lot of times using the correct credentials.
    It should be noted that I can sign-in to the same account on "Quicken" website and this community without any issue.
    Please help me to get this sorted out. :)

Thanks in advance!
  • cbrk
    cbrk Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I just talked to a support person. I don't think he knows what he's talking about, but anyway he confirmed that Quicken won't work outside US and Canada. So if this is true, people travelling to somewhere outside US and Canada cannot use Quicken until they go back to the home country.

I'm done with this ship and moving to GnuCash. Good luck guys.
  • cbrk
    cbrk Member ✭✭
    By the way it doesn't work for me even if I used VPN to get a US IP address.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @thilina - we have been seeing a lot of issues with "invalid credentials" for the Quicken ID.  Most of  the affected users seem to be connecting from outside the US or Canada.

Are you able to close the pop-up window by clicking on the X in the upper right?  It may take you a few times doing this to make the sign on window go away.  If not, try hitting "Esc" a few times.

The only other advice I can give you is to wait a few hours and try again.

Also, does your Quicken ID password meet all of the following requirements - 
    • 8 character minimum.
    • Must contain one lower case letter and one capital letter.
    • Must contain at least one number.
    • Special characters are allowed but not required. 
    If not, I would update it, but only after you are successfully able to get past the Quicken ID sign-on screen.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a shot in the dark ...
    Have you customized Windows and/or your browser settings to Disable Java Script?
    If so, try enabling it.
This discussion has been closed.