Issues updating report with new subcategories - the new ones are not showing up!

apurohit8
apurohit8 Member
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I'm having an issue with reports on my Quicken Windows R41.10.

I have an existing report which shows income for various subcats. I have since added a new subcat. When I open the report, Quicken tells me that there are new categories and asks if I want to view them. I select that I do want to review them, and I see the new subcat, so I select it and click OK to generate the updated report.

The new report doesn't show the new subcat info at all. The totals are therefore wrong as well, of course. If I check the categories for the report, I can see that the new one is selected, as requested. And, yes, there is a transaction within the date range (YTD) for this subcat.

If I create a new report (Cash Flow type) and select these categories manually, they all show up just properly (again, YTD date range).

I simply can't get the old report to update with the new subcat... it won't show up. I have tried removing existing selected subcats (they go away, as expected)... and I reselect those and they appear. But if I reselect the old and the new, the new one still refuses to show up.

Even if I refuse the "there are new categories" window and manually add the new subcat, it still won't show up. I've created a PDF to show the issue step by step, but I don't see a way to upload it here? I'm happy to show screenshots as well, if that helps.

I have tried validating the file - it showed minor errors, but even after repair the report problem persists. For now, I have used new reports... but this is the 3rd time I've had to do this, and it's getting annoying. It's disconcerting to have Quicken show a report that is not accurate... makes using Quicken seem kinda pointless.

I could certainly be doing something wrong... I'm happy to be corrected... but I don't think I am. Any help is appreciated.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the problem report a Budget report?

If so, you must include the new subcategories in your budget or click on the gear at the top right of the report and on the Advanced tab, next to Categories: pick Include all.

Also, due to internal changes in Quicken from one version to the next, it is sometimes necessary to re-create a saved report starting with one of the built-in reports.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    No, it's a Cash Flow report.

I see your comment about changes from one version to another - do you mean that any time the software is updated, I will HAVE to recreate the report from scratch? That seems very silly, since it makes saving reports kinda pointless, doesn't it? In addition, it still doesn't leave me with much confidence in reports... because if they will basically "lie" to me with incorrect info (even when updated) what's the point?

The new report was created about a month ago, so it's not THAT old...
  • Jim_Harman
    I think it would be more accurate to say that any time the software is updated, you MIGHT have to re-create the report.

Did the saved report use all categories, or selected ones? Also are any of the categories included in the report marked as Hidden? Note that the special investment Categories that begin with _underscores are hidden by default.

Not long ago Quicken changed how Categories are selected for reports, adding the All and Selected radio buttons, and this has caused some strange behavior related to hidden categories.

• apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    edited June 2022
    [Removed - Off Topic/Language] Anyway, back on topic:

Thanks for your continued replies! I used "selected" categories, as I only want two main categories (each with multiple subcats). Nothing fancy. None are hidden categories or subcats, and none are underscored "default" ones either. They're all items I created myself (main cat + subcats).
    here, if that helps?
  • apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    I get that sometimes things may break, but these reports were created this year (they are what I use to calculate estimated tax payments). And every few months I add one or two subcats... yet the reports never work properly with the update process. I have to create a new one each time because while the updated one SAYS it's including that info, it fails to actually show it. That's what bothers me the most - if I select a subcat, it better show the data there, otherwise, what's the point of running Quicken at all, you know?
  • apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    Again, maybe I'm doing something wrong... I'm happy to learn how to do it "right" but I don't think I am. I think there's a bug.
    I can provide some screenshots and such if that helps. I don't see a way to post it here. I can create a link and then you can download it from if that helps.
  • apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    Sorry for the multiple posts. The website refused to let me post it as one, so I broke it up. Something was wrong at the end, it seems, but I don't know what, since I typed it all here and it wouldn't work. I even copied it out to notepad (to strip any weird characters) and pasted it back - still wouldn't work. And no error either... yeesh.
  • apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    Here's a link to the steps I take, and the issue I'm seeing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mg1c2PuiJ1znd4v5CUxO9MynM2087r0f/view?usp=sharing
  • Jim_Harman
    When you save a report, there is a relatively new 3 way option to lock it, warn if there are changes, or add new accounts, categories, etc automatically.

I suggest you create a test report and experiment with it. Save the report with each of these options and add a new category and a transaction that uses the new category after each save, then see if you can modify the report to include the new category and transaction.

Please let us know what you find, and what version of Quicken you are running now.
  • apurohit8
    apurohit8 Member
    Thanks - I'll certainly do some testing with it and report back.

Version is in the first post - Windows, R41.10
This discussion has been closed.