Can I tag a paycheck direct transfer to an account

K Walsh
K Walsh Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Reports (Windows)
There is a post on how to tag paycheck items using category/tag, but I want to tag direct transfers to my savings account to track savings goals. There is no Category in this case, it is just an amount sent to an account.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    I suggest you select the paycheck transaction and press Ctrl + Shift + S to edit the paycheck as a split transaction to apply the tag to the entry.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    I suggest you select the paycheck transaction and press Ctrl + Shift + S to edit the paycheck as a split transaction to apply the tag to the entry.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can apply a Tag to a transfer (which is uncategorized). If you use the Tag column, just enter it there. If you don't use the Tag column, you can append the tag to the transfer using the slash character "/".
    E.g., for a transfer from Checking to Savings tagged with tag "Stash", the entry in the Checking account's Category column would be [Savings]/Stash

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• K Walsh
    K Walsh Member ✭✭
    There is no tag column in paycheck form; that was my original problem.
    However, as suggested by other user, Ctrl+Shift+S works to edit paycheck entry as regular split transaction.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel in this case, the old category/tag trick doesn't work.

There are several places in Quicken where there is a category field, but not a tag field.
    But because of how Quicken stores these two at the lowest level, you can always enter both into the category field with Category/Tag.

But there are also places where Quicken only accepts an account name.  Even though underneath the paycheck GUI there is a Split transaction, the Paycheck form itself only accepts an account name, not a category (and as such not category/account).

Here is an example:

So, converting the Paycheck reminder into a income/split transaction to get to the category (and tag) field is the only way to do it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.