Can I find when the last time Quicken was able to connect to a particular bank? (Q Mac)

Perry Smith
Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
I have a credit card called B&H PayBoo that is with a bank called Comenity.  Curiously, Comenity appears to be part of Bread Financial (I'm not making up any of these names! 🤣

They claim to have done an upgrade and the online banking system hasn't been up since.
I get up almost every morning and update my Quicken and I noticed it wasn't connecting for a while before I went to the web site to investigate.  I figured it would be back on line in a day or two.  I knew my credentials were correct.  My Citi / Costco card doesn't connect about 20% of the time as well.  No biggie.

Anyhow, I'd like to know how long they have been down mostly so I can be obnoxious and taunt and tease them.

I'm wondering if there is any log file within Quicken that would tell me the last time it was able to connect to this particular bank.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You may be able to ferret out what you're looking for from the HTTP Log. Navigate to /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Logs/HTTPLog.txt and open it in a text editor. Search for the bank name. Then scroll up in that block of code to see the date.

If you don't see the Library folder in your user directory, click the Go menu in Finder while holding down the option key on the keyboard.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I'm wondering if there is any log file within Quicken that would tell me the last time it was able to connect to this particular bank.
    What does the Account Status window tell you?

Go to Quicken's menu: Window > Account Status and look at the Last Update column.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2022
    It's not a "claim"; their systems were completely down for awhile, and little by little they've been bringing more functionality back online. The Comenity system outage received a fair amount of coverage in the media. (Here's one such article.)

Information about the ongoing impact of the botched system upgrade are easily viewable if you visit the PayBoo login page. Here's what is posted:

Frequently Asked Questions for Customers

Q. What happened?
    A. A complex, planned system update caused our service channels and other capabilities to go out from time to time. We know that the outages have been frustrating and we’re very sorry for the inconvenience.

Q. Can customers make payments?
    A. We’re very sorry for your inconvenience and are working to restore full service as quickly as possible. Comenity’s Care Center is experiencing outages from time to time and may not be available. Customers can continue to use their cards as usual and, can make a payment using Comenity’s EasyPay service.

Q. Was Comenity Bank hacked?
    A. No, we did not experience a cyber attack of any kind. The servicing issues we are experiencing are the result of a planned system update. Your account information remains secure. We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Q. What services can be accessed right now?
    A. Customers can continue to use their cards as usual and, subject to additional outages, can make a payment using Comenity’s EasyPay service

Q. How are you going to support customers impacted by this situation? What about late fees?
    A. We are working to ensure a fair resolution for impacted customers. We will communicate to impacted customers by email, statement message and secure message center. We’re waiving late fees for customers whose payment due date fell on or between June 27 - July 2, 2022. Customers don’t have to do anything. Those customers’ inability to make a payment will not affect their credit score.

Q. Will I be charged interest on my promotional plan that ended during the outage and I couldn’t make a payment?
    A. If you had a promotional plan that expired in June through July 2, 2022, we are extending the promotional plan expiration date by 30 days. If you have questions or concerns, please call the number on the back of your card or statement for Customer Care. This will allow you the opportunity to pay your promotional plan in full by the new extended expiration date.

Q. Are credit bureau updates paused during this time?
    A. We will not report late payments for customers whose payment due date fell on or between June 27 through July 2.

Q. When can we expect the system to be up and running and problems resolved?
    A. We are working around the clock to restore full service to all accounts impacted. Comenity’s Care Center is experiencing outages from time to time and may not be available. Customers can continue to use their cards as usual and can make a payment online using Comenity’s EasyPay.

I would expect connectivity with third-party personal finance applications like Quicken to be at or near the bottom of the priority list for Comenity as they try to get their systems fully up and running. They clearly haven't reached the stage of declaring victory, or even predicting when it will occur. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You may be able to ferret out what you're looking for from the HTTP Log. Navigate to /Users/(username)/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Logs/HTTPLog.txt and open it in a text editor. Search for the bank name. Then scroll up in that block of code to see the date.

If you don't see the Library folder in your user directory, click the Go menu in Finder while holding down the option key on the keyboard.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    The reason it is interesting to me aside from the financial impact is I use to do support for Big Blue.  All of their customers are mammoth customers and the lack of discipline with testing before an upgrade was astonishing.

My favorite problem I got involved in with the entire continent of Australia decided to put in new systems for all of their grain elevators.  And, of course, they didn't do one or two test pilot plants.  They updated the entire continent.  And, no surprise, it didn't work.  So there was no grain movement for about a week as I found the problem and sent them a fix.  The UK Olympics made a similar blunder.  You get the idea.
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    In my case, the HTTPLog.txt starts at June 29th which I'm pretty sure isn't far enough back.  And, I no longer do daily backups so I can't ask Time Machine for help.

Thank you for you help
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

What does the Account Status window tell you?

Go to Quicken's menu: Window > Account Status and look at the Last Update column.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    @lhossus Oh!  The bank has recovered and so I can't tell for sure but I see now there is a "Last Update" column.  OH I wish I would have looked at that before.  I have one bank today (a different bank) that did not connect today and it says last update was yesterday.  I'll keep an eye on that column better in the future.
This discussion has been closed.