RECONCILING CHECK REGISTER MANUALLY HAS BECOME IMPOSSIBLE AND QUICKEN "HELP" IS HELPLESS

Options
Hopper
Hopper Member
This is the third month in a row that my attempt to manually reconcile bank statement to my manually entered records in Quicken is all screwed up. Last month I called and told their "helper" that there was clearly a Quicken error because the "cleared" debits number was different than the number called "Cleared Balance". They said to just "let Quicken" generate an "adjustment" -- which I reluctantly did. This month: the "42 checks, debits" was $170,000" but the "Cleared Balance" was shown as only "93,000". Since there is no one working in "help center" on weekends, I'm stuck with once gain letting an "Adjustment" be generated by Quicken -- in the amount of "579.31". No way in the world to figure this out -- and I've been using Quicken (Windows) for over 10 years. Time to find a different application as Quicken has really failed miserably!!!

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest removing any of these adjustments you allowed Quicken to make to your register.

The Cleared Balance is the sum of all of the transactions in the register marked as reconciled and the transactions checked in the Clr column of the reconcile window. 

The first thing I suggest you check is the reconciled balance.  If this isn't the same as the closing balance on the last statement successfully reconciled, a reconciled transaction has been added, modified, or deleted.  To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last successfully reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.  

Once the reconciled balance is correct, you should be able to reconcile against the subsequent statements.

This discussion has been closed.