Multiple Family Members

jmayeraz
jmayeraz Member
edited August 2022 in Before you Buy
The family (2 adults and 2 teenagers) is currently using, Quicken 2014 Home & Business. We are getting new computers.

First Question: Will 2014 run on Windows 11 on the new laptops?

Second Question: If we upgrade to the subscription version, will we be able to convert our existing 2014 files?

Third Question: We currently each have our own files on our own computers. Will we still be able to do this without our kids being able to see our adult files?

Fourth Question: Can files be passworded?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

First Question: Will 2014 run on Windows 11 on the new laptops?

Probably, you won't know for sure until you try.  After the install, run the last Mondo release patch found at:

Second Question: If we upgrade to the subscription version, will we be able to convert our existing 2014 files?

Yes

Third Question: We currently each have our own files on our own computers. Will we still be able to do this without our kids being able to see our adult files?

As long as you don't use QMobile/Q-Web.  Subscription Quicken is tied to a single Quicken Id for all of your installs and if you use either of those two non-desktop methods to work with your Quicken data, it requires signing in using that single Quicken Id and with that you have access to any/all online enabled data files.

Fourth Question: Can files be passworded?
    Yes, the individual data files can be passworded just as in Quicken 2014.  The QMobile/Q-Web interfaces DO NOT honor any password applied to the desktop file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes to all.  I run 2013 on win 11.  After you install Quicken just open the files. 

If you install 2014 you will first need to update it.  If you have an older version, One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

If you buy a newer subscription version it needs a user id.  I don't know how that works with different files.  You will all have to use the same id.  2014 was the last version without needing an id.  And if you don't renew the new version you will have a big renew banner taking up some of your screen.  But if you don't want to download transactions or do anything online I would stay with 2014.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do decide to upgrade to Quicken Subscription, please do select at least the Deluxe feature level(*) for family members who do not need the full H&B feature set. It'll save you a few dollars because I'm also going to recommend that each of you purchase their own Quicken Subscription under their own personal Quicken ID (your personal email address).
    A single Quicken ID shared among multiple family members will, at some time, cause confusion and problems.
    You should also name your Quicken data files individually. Don't name all of them the same, e.g. Qdata.QDF ... you'll never be able to figure out just by looking at the file name if this is Dad's file or Son's file or ...

(*) The Starter Edition is too limited, feature-wise. And, if subscription is not renewed, the Starter Edition will "go Read-only", i.e., it will not allow new transactions to be added, among other things.
    Deluxe and higher feature levels will continue to work (with limitations) beyond the subscription's end date, but it will nag you to renew.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering how you convinced teenagers to use Quicken. Please share your secret. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.