Stop mobile app from memorizing transactions [Edited]

aburtch
aburtch Member
edited October 2023 in Ideas for Mobile
I use both Quicken Windows Desktop and the Quicken mobile app and sync data between the two. When I use the desktop program I have "Memorize Transactions" turned off. However, when I enter transactions into the mobile app and then sync the data, they appear in the desktop version as newly memorized transactions. I can't find the setting on the mobile app to turn this off.

Does anyone know how to force the mobile app NOT to memorize transactions? Thanks!
27 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. However, there is no ETA on when this will be available. CTP-7457 / CMP-8891

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @aburtch,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your question.

Unfortunately, the Quicken Mobile app does not currently offer a setting to turn off this feature.

Therefore, I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• FlanyerDrate
    FlanyerDrate Member ✭✭
    Definitely a needed correction. I have it off on the desktop too. Why the developers saw fit to have the mobile version ignore that, nor provide an option... Anyway, upvote for this feature for sure.
  • jraff
    jraff Member
    Agree this is such a pain to not be able to turn this off in mobile. Every month I need to go into the desktop memorized payees and delete dozens of mobile added payees - what a waste of time.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    In the current Quicken Mobile version if you add a transaction, it gets automatically added as a new memorized payee.  There should be an option to turn this behavior off.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JerTindall
    JerTindall Member ✭✭
    100% agree with Chris_QPW on this one. I have turned this behavior off in my Windows desktop version, but can't control it in the mobile app. Now when I enter a transaction in desktop using the same vendor that I used in mobile, it is filling in incorrect information that I have to take the time to correct. We need to be able to control this behavior on both platforms.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And just people know, to see the memorized payees in Quicken Mobile you select:
    Settings -> Rules -> Memorized Payees
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pmginn
    pmginn Member
    Ugh this is driving me crazy. At least now I know WHY those payees keep getting memorized; but I don't want them to! Geez, I enter something I bought at Amazon via mobile. Now EVERY transaction from Amazon defaults to that category. NO, NO, NO!!!
  • 100% agree with all comment. Memorized Payees are great for some Payees that I always use the same categories with. For other payees where the category changes having a memorized payee is very frustrating and causes extra work. Please give us (your customers) the ability to have full control, in all quicken applications, over what Payees WE want to memorize.
  • 100% agree, and what is frustrating is that it did NOT use to do this. Please fix!
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Chris_QPW

Thank you for bringing this up. It is a great suggestion for future releases. Count my vote in!

-Quicken Paloma
  • mklepic
    mklepic Member ✭✭
    100% agree also. The lack of synchronization with the desktop version for Payees, Categories, and Tags can make using the mobile app very frustrating.
  • robsquick
    robsquick Member ✭✭
    I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this voting idea. I'd like to know what the thought process was to memorize transaction in the mobile app with no opportunity to turn it off, yet you can do so in the program, but the app overrides it. This causes me a lot of problems, especially when the dollar amount of a payee changes. I'm constantly needing to edit the entry in the program's register not to mention the growing number of memorized payees in the list. Yo, Quicken mobile developers, come on maaaan!
  • FlanyerDrate
    FlanyerDrate Member ✭✭
    Agreed. I noticed when I tried to upvote the idea by clicking on the arrow/area of the arrow, it does not respond. Perhaps if that arrow worked, it would get more attention. I found this thread where the voting still works - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7906720/there-should-be-an-option-not-to-add-a-new-transaction-to-the-memorized-payees/p1?new=1
  • FlanyerDrate
    FlanyerDrate Member ✭✭
    @"Quicken Anja" are you able to fix the voting arrow or merge the two threads?
  • dalownerx3
    dalownerx3 Member
    Can’t vote but also would like the ability to turn off auto memorize.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @FlanyerDrate & @dalownerx3,

Both Idea threads and votes on this topic have been merged and the voting arrow has been restored.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JerTindall
    JerTindall Member ✭✭
    Is there any hope of movement on this topic? I had completely stopped using the mobile app because of this issue. I tried using it again this morning to enter one transaction and was reminded that the issue still exists, so I will have to stop using it again. Can we please get this into a developer's backlog?
  • shiraaz
    shiraaz Member
    No updates yet, and this thread was created in 2021? This is why quicken sucks. Quicken has become a monopoly, as it is pretty much the only game when it comes to managing personal finances that's also linked to banking and investment. First they force us to go on a recurring fee subscription model, then their service level slowly erodes. Don't even get me started on how split transactions suddenly have weird items that were never entered.

I hope a descent competitor comes up soon and gives Quicken a run for its money.
  • KYKuroda
    KYKuroda Member
    How long will this fix take, or how many votes do you need? People are only asking for an option! An option that should have been available from the beginning. Shiraaz's comment might be accurate! Kind of shameful :(
  • frank8
    frank8 Member ✭✭
    Still an issue, hopefully Quicken IT will address and fix it
  • BigTex
    BigTex Member ✭✭
    PLEASE; this infects not only the mobile app, but brings them into the desktop app as well. At the very least this should be an option users can control.
    Likewise, PLEASE give us the option to edit the memorized list on the Mobile app
  • CyborgOne
    CyborgOne Member ✭✭✭

Agreed - and I'll indicate that his situation is MADDENING: I always ensure that the entries I made in the desktop app are correct and established exactly as needed … but any time I enter a transaction via the mobile app - it overrides and causes different behavior. I never want the specific amount, memo, etc. to be saved for every single entry I make in the mobile app - but there appears to be no way to prevent this from happening.

Why not provide options for only saving certain fields when entered via mobile; and/or completely preventing new entries via this vector to NOT be saved off to the (shared) list of memorized transactions? This seems to be a huge omission in functionality.

• CyborgOne
    CyborgOne Member ✭✭✭

Welp, turns out that even the workaround fails: I now have to explicitly find all transactions in the desktop "Payees & Rules" area, and edit their Quickfill rules to REMOVE the amount and memo, then check the "Lock this rule" checkbox. This is incredibly frustrating, and should not need to be pursued.

BUT, this doesn't even work! I have a transaction which was locked in this manner, but a subsequent mobile data entry has resulted in an override - saving invalid data associated with the transaction, CHANGING the values which are saved in this Quickfill rule. As stated: This is utterly maddening, to have to deal with repeatedly!

Please, Quicken reps: What has caused this change in behavior, and how do we prevent it from continuing to screw things up, going forward?

• robsquick
    robsquick Member ✭✭
    Do Quicken staff ever read these posts? It be nice to hear from them whether or not they will address this issue.
  • CyborgOne
    CyborgOne Member ✭✭✭

Do we any insights at all into this issue, and when (if?) a solution will be pursued?

Right now, @jraff 's comment pretty much sums it up:

>Agree this is such a pain to not be able to turn this off in mobile. Every month I need to go into the desktop memorized payees and delete dozens of mobile added payees - what a waste of time.

This has gone from far beyond a minor nuisance, to becoming a significant usability issue. I cannot trust any downloaded transactions, since they now usually match to these one-time entries from Mobile - which were never desired to be memorized. Spending the time cleaning up errant list of QuickFill Rules is incredibly frustrating - since I don't delete them (as I expect they will just come back again), but need to modify the entries to SPECIFY the category, CLEAR the tags, CLEAR the memo, CLEAR the amount, UNCHECK the "Mark as cleared" selection, and then CHECK the "Lock this rule…" selection - to try and prevent future entries from updating. But, even this often doesn't work.

This seems to be a far-reaching issue, with a simple fix: Do not automatically save entries from Mobile to be QuickFill rules; instead, force the mobile user to explicitly approve this action.

Can someone from the dev team report back on whether this has even been proritized, and if it's planned for an upcoming release?  @Quicken Anja  perhaps?

• Sam White
    Sam White Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    [{"insert":"I’ve been stumbling across this issue for several months now and finally realized the connection, did my search, and found this thread. Amazing that this has gone on so long. Month after month I get updates to the core program, yet something this simple, causing so much grief, lingers for years. Quite disappointing to say the least.\n"}]
  • Sam White
    Sam White Member ✭✭

The net result of this is I’ve now stopped using the mobile app until this gets resolved. Combined with not using Quicken on the web since I can’t control when it does a one step update, all of the fancy updates to the mobile and web apps for Quicken have been for not. Good ideas, poor execution.

• Sam White
    Sam White Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023
    @Quicken Anja
    “Unfortunately, the Quicken Mobile app does not currently offer a setting to turn off this ‘feature’”.

Why do we call “memorizing every payee” a feature when it clearly should be considered a bug and fixed as soon as possible. Something as prolific and imposing as memorizing every payee should not be a behavior of the software that can be allowed to persist multiple years.

I personally do not use either the Mobile app (for this reason alone), or Quicken on the Web (because it insists on performing a one step update every time it launches). Both of these issues have been commented on negatively and have managed to escape being corrected for a couple of years perhaps because they are called features and not bugs. Neither of these behaviors suit your user base, so how did they become features?

Perhaps if these issues were to be reclassified as bugs they might actually get corrected?

Thanks for reading.
  • robsquick
    robsquick Member ✭✭
    Has anyone from Quicken ever commented about this? You'd think they'd let us know their thoughts.
  • SloppyJie
    SloppyJie Member

I've been waiting over a year for them to fix this. This will probably be my last year renewing my subscription because they're clearing not listening. If you can enable the mobile app to automatically save payees, shouldn't you be able to disable it? And if the payee is deleted in the Windows version, why doesn't syncing it deleted it from the app? This is what happens when there's little to no competition