Sale of funds/stock not showing up on reports

imabill
imabill Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I am having trouble with cash reports showing sales of funds of stocks. The entry when making the sale does not show up in the check book register as a deposit because from where the item is entered (transactions) shows just the code of the fund not deposit.
any help would sure be appreciated.
thank you very much
bill

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which "check book register" are you talking about? Your personal checking account at some other bank? Or the linked cash/checking account associated with your investment account?
    A typical Sale transaction increases the investment account's cash balance. Only if a linked cash/checking account exists, a deposit is also posted to the linked cash/checking account register.
    If money needs to be transferred to an external checking account, to pull cash from the investment account, a separate transfer transaction is required.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The entry when making the sale does not show up in the check book register as a deposit because from where the item is entered (transactions) shows just the code of the fund not deposit."
    I couldn't follow along with what you said here.  You need to better explain how a sale of a security is showing up in all the affected Accounts.  A picture would be very helpful.
    When you sell a security in a stand-alone Investment Account the cash from the sale stays in the Investment Account and a "standard" Reports > Banking > Cash Flow report won't pick that up since the standard report only uses information from Checking, Saving and Cash Accounts.
    When you sell a security in an Investment Account that's linked to a checking Account then the Cash Flow report should pick that up since the increase in cash does affect (typically) a linked checking Account.
    That statement that I quoted seems to suggest (to me) that you're dealing with a linked checking Account - though I might be wrong - and that something other than what I described above isn't happening in your case, but I don't have a clear picture of what that is.
  • imabill
    imabill Member ✭✭
    thanks for your reply,
    when I sell/redeem a fund or stock, I click on the name of the fund to open the account and hit on enter transaction. From there I hit sell-shares sold. and continue down to date of sale (the fund name is there as I entered it from the list of funds far left) From there I "record procedes" and check off checking account.. This is where the funds will go automatically. I complete the sale with number of shares amt etc.and press Enter/Done. This of course records to the account to show new balances. When I open up my checking account window the amouont has automatically been entered. Also on the checking account page under the date shows the name of the company/fund sold, the amount is shown under the column but under category in shows in parenthesis is shows the code of the fund.. Then when I try later to view a report showing banking cash flow the amount of all of the sales does not appear under inflows.
    any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    imabill said:
    thanks for your reply,
    when I sell/redeem a fund or stock, I click on the name of the fund to open the account and hit on enter transaction. From there I hit sell-shares sold. and continue down to date of sale (the fund name is there as I entered it from the list of funds far left) From there I "record procedes" and check off checking account.. This is where the funds will go automatically. I complete the sale with number of shares amt etc.and press Enter/Done. This of course records to the account to show new balances. When I open up my checking account window the amouont has automatically been entered. Also on the checking account page under the date shows the name of the company/fund sold, the amount is shown under the column but under category in shows in parenthesis is shows the code of the fund.. Then when I try later to view a report showing banking cash flow the amount of all of the sales does not appear under inflows.
    any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    I suspect you need to allow transfers in the report.  For example, select Reports > Banking > Cash Flow, press Alt + C, select the Advanced tab, select Exclude internal in the Transfers: pull-down menu, and OK.
This discussion has been closed.