Chase credit card balance reflects "Square" mobile transactions not listed or downloaded

Options
KC Smythe
KC Smythe Member ✭✭
Twice recently I have been unable to balance a Chase credit card in Quicken because the downloaded balance doesn't match the Quicken balance. I went to the Chase website and saw no transactions listed that hadn't been downloaded. However, when I click on "show details" for the current balance on the Chase site, it shows an aggregate purchase amount that does not match the sum of transactions on the same page; the difference is the same as my discrepancy in Quicken. The first time this happened, the discrepancy turned out to be "Square" transactions on mobile devices used by vendors at a farmers market, and the transactions eventually showed up and downloaded. (They weren't listed as "pending" by Chase in the meantime.) I suspect the same explanation behind my current discrepancy and will monitor it longer. I don't think Chase should show a balance that cannot be verified by the transactions it shows. Is this a known issue?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KC Smythe said:
    Twice recently I have been unable to balance a Chase credit card in Quicken because the downloaded balance doesn't match the Quicken balance. I went to the Chase website and saw no transactions listed that hadn't been downloaded. However, when I click on "show details" for the current balance on the Chase site, it shows an aggregate purchase amount that does not match the sum of transactions on the same page; the difference is the same as my discrepancy in Quicken. The first time this happened, the discrepancy turned out to be "Square" transactions on mobile devices used by vendors at a farmers market, and the transactions eventually showed up and downloaded. (They weren't listed as "pending" by Chase in the meantime.) I suspect the same explanation behind my current discrepancy and will monitor it longer. I don't think Chase should show a balance that cannot be verified by the transactions it shows. Is this a known issue?
    Hello @KC Smythe,  

I am sorry to hear about this issue with Square transactions missing from the displayed balances. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, save a backup by navigating to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, If you have the chance, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch, click Next
    4. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location, click Next
    5. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web, click Next 

You may then add your Chase account(s) in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues with incorrect balances and missing transaction information continue in this test data file.

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • KC Smythe
    KC Smythe Member ✭✭
    Options
    The missing transactions downloaded today, so I don't think the exercise you suggested will see the problem duplicated. It mainly seems to be a timing issue, but it still shouldn't happen. I was curious if this has been reported by other users and is a known issue.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KC Smythe said:
    The missing transactions downloaded today, so I don't think the exercise you suggested will see the problem duplicated. It mainly seems to be a timing issue, but it still shouldn't happen. I was curious if this has been reported by other users and is a known issue.
    Hello @KC Smythe

Thanks for checking back in with me about this. I am glad to hear that the most recent downloads were successful, although I wish I could provide further information about this issue.

For the moment, I have not received any other reports of this problem from other users on the Quicken Community. This thread will be left open in case they begin to experience similar problems, however. 

I hope to hear any future updates you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited July 2022
    Options
    KC Smythe said:
    I went to the Chase website and saw no transactions listed that hadn't been downloaded. However, when I click on "show details" for the current balance on the Chase site, it shows an aggregate purchase amount that does not match the sum of transactions on the same page; the difference is the same as my discrepancy in Quicken.
    If the Chase website is showing the same discrepancy, then this sounds like a problem with Chase and not Quicken. You should contact Chase & complain that pending Square transactions are being included in the account balance but not displayed.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• KC Smythe
    KC Smythe Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I'll do that next time this problem duplicates since it's timing-dependent. I posted here partly to alert other Quicken users, to determine if it's a known problem. I suspect that Quicken has a back-channel to website operations at major card issuers, and that a report to them from Quicken representing many users may get more priority than isolated individual complaints.
This discussion has been closed.