What happened to Renaming Rules icon?

janburch
janburch Member ✭✭
I used to have an icon on my Quicken toolbar for Renaming Rules. Now it isn't on the Customize Toolbar list. What happened? Is there a way I can get that icon on my toolbar?

Best Answer

• janburch
    janburch Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, guess what? It fixed itself!

I was setting up a new Quicken file, and had not downloaded any transactions yet. I forgot to mention that... :) In fact, it had occurred to me that it had something to do with the new file. My old files were all fine. So sorry for failing to disclose that little fact!

After I downloaded some transactions, the Renaming Rules option showed up where it is supposed to be. Before that, it wasn't even under Tools, but now it is, and I successfully put it on the toolbar.

Thanks so much for helping. It is nice to have someone to talk to about problems like this.

Best Wishes,
    Jan

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
    I can confirm the icon is still available in R41.19:

Perhaps you neglected to check Show all toolbar choices:

• janburch
    janburch Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sherlock. I did select Show all toolbars choices, and Renaming Rules is not there. My Quicken version is R42.8 Build 27.1.42.8. I think they left it out!!!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    janburch said:
    Thank you Sherlock. I did select Show all toolbars choices, and Renaming Rules is not there. My Quicken version is R42.8 Build 27.1.42.8. I think they left it out!!!
    What's your feature level? Starter Edition, Deluxe or higher?
    In my R 42.8 HB&R, the Renaming Rules selection shows as expected, among the choices beginning with "R".

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing a little more testing ...
    The Renaming Rules selection does NOT show in the left column if it already is present in the right column, as a selected toolbar button.
    Could it be that you have too many icons defined to show in the toolbar given the current width of the Quicken window? If so, there should be a scroll button as the rightmost icon.
    And if that were the case, you need to decide if you should remove some icons or move the Renaming Rule icon up the list toward the top, so that it can show within the available window space without scrolling.
  • janburch
    janburch Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR. I have Quicken HB&R R42.8 Build 27.1.42.8. What Build do you have?

There is plenty of room on the toolbar, and Renaming Rules is definitely missing. To get to Renaming Rules I have to go to Preferences > Downloaded Transactions, where there is a button for Renaming Rules.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the image. I have no idea why the Renaming Rules choice for Toolbar icons is missing.
    An alternate way to go to Renaming rules is to select the Tools menu, then click Renaming Rules.

If you haven't done so already, please try the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

• janburch
    janburch Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well, guess what? It fixed itself!

I was setting up a new Quicken file, and had not downloaded any transactions yet. I forgot to mention that... :) In fact, it had occurred to me that it had something to do with the new file. My old files were all fine. So sorry for failing to disclose that little fact!

After I downloaded some transactions, the Renaming Rules option showed up where it is supposed to be. Before that, it wasn't even under Tools, but now it is, and I successfully put it on the toolbar.

Thanks so much for helping. It is nice to have someone to talk to about problems like this.

Best Wishes,
    Jan
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sneaky suspicion: Quicken is smart enough to not show Renaming Rules if your data file doesn't have at least one account which is activated for downloading.
This discussion has been closed.