Deleted entire category by mistake

MyHome
MyHome Member ✭✭
While editing categories, I deleted an entire category by mistake. I have a backup. How can I get the whole category back from a backup?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the category was built-in, press Ctrl + Shift + C, select Options > Manage categories, check category on the left, select Add >> and OK.  Otherwise, you may add the category manually:  press Ctrl + Shift + C and select New Category.

You may also restore the Quicken file from a Quicken file backup: select File > Restore a Backup File...  

You may also export the category list from a restored Quicken file as a QIF file (select File > File Export > QIF File...) and import the QIF file in the original Quicken file (File > File Import > QIF File...).
  • MyHome
    MyHome Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Here is the problem: the last backup was a week ago. I can add the category, but I just want to restore the category list and reattach to the transactions. In other words, I suspect that all the transactions are there, but they have been assigned to a Misc category.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    MyHome said:
    Thanks. Here is the problem: the last backup was a week ago. I can add the category, but I just want to restore the category list and reattach to the transactions. In other words, I suspect that all the transactions are there, but they have been assigned to a Misc category.
    It sounds like you want to find all the transactions that have the Misc category, select the specific transactions, and replace the category in those selected transactions.  If so, press Ctrl + H, for the Find, select Category, Exact, Misc, and Find, check the appropriate transactions, and, for the Replace, select Category, the appropriate category, Replace All, and Done.

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file, always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
This discussion has been closed.