Manually match downloaded transactions to multiple manual entries? (Q Mac)

Options
Seth Holmes
Seth Holmes Member ✭✭✭
According to this article:

https://www.quicken.com/support/handling-downloaded-transactions#:~:text=Quicken opens a window to,difference in amounts, if any.

It is possible to open a dialog to match a downloaded transaction to multiple manually added transactions. For example, my 401K contributions are single line items on my pay statement, but it's a single item for download. 

Is this a feature only available on Quicken for Windows? I followed the instructions and saw no option for manually matching after trying to edit the transaction.

I am running Quicken Deluxe on a Mac, Version 6.8.3 (Build 608.44884.100).

Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just trying to get a picture here, to help out our experienced Mac users ...
    In your checking account you have your paycheck transaction. It contains multiple Split lines, all going to the same 401(k) account register where they appear as multiple transactions. However, when you download transactions from the 401(k), there's only 1 transaction totaling the individual amounts. Am I correct so far?
    If not, can you take image snapshots of the transactions in your Quicken registers and drag and drop them into your next response, please? Sometimes an image explains the situation better than we can do with words.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Seth Holmes
    Seth Holmes Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, my contribution + employer match show as two different line items in the paycheck and so two entries in the 401(k) register. When downloaded from the bank handling the 401(k) it's a single line item.

Complicating it slightly, I might receive multiple checks in a week (due to bonuses, for example) in which case I go from 2 to 4 or 6 transfers with a single download from the bank handling the 401(k).

But honestly, that complication shouldn't make a difference. Either it is possible to match multiple line items to a single downloaded transaction or it's not, as indicated by the article I linked to.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think there's anything you can do to map a single downloaded transaction to multiple account register transactions. Sorry.
    Delete the downloaded transaction. Mark the should-be-matching individual register transactions as cleared.
  • Seth Holmes
    Seth Holmes Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    That's disappointing as that article says there is. But I suspect it only applies to the WIndows version.

Deleting the downloaded transaction was what I've been doing. But I was hoping I could do the manual match to multiple transactions.

I also wish the opposite was possible. Matching multiple downloaded transactions to a single split-line manually added transaction. Would be useful for some "I ordered X and they split it into Y orders and Y different charges" transactions.

Not the end of the world, just... convenient.

Thanks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The "handling downloaded transactions" appears to apply to Q Windows only. I must admit, I've never seen that split description and used it myself.
    For "Would be useful for some "I ordered X and they split it into Y orders and Y different charges" transactions." situations with amazon.com, I use an intermediate offline checking account. I place the total order into that account, properly split and categorized. When my credit card gets charged multiple times for several partial shipments, I just record each credit card charge transaction as a transfer to the intermediate account.

BTW, here's a little more information about downloading transactions on the Mac: https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Downloading+transactions
This discussion has been closed.