R42.21 Critical Update message

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
This morning I opened Quicken and it automatically updated to Ver 42.21 with no warning. When I closed after a One Step Update, I got this message:

Of course, I went to "Check for Updates" and got this message:
So something is not quite right here.
Tagged:

Comments

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody from Quicken posted here that that update was available to anybody but it is there and I didn't install it... 

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    have suggested that your 3 postings about AMEX be split off into your dup posting about the same issue… it’s hard to follow a specific topic or problem when lumping different items under one topic header 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Same happened to me this morning. Quicken updated with no warning, then told me there's a critical update, so I followed instructions and went to Help --> Check for updates and it told me that I already have the latest version which is R42.21. Please someone let us all know if we are missing a critical update or not, because it's a daunting message.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    It's not shown on the Mondo Update site as available either... nor what the update is all about... sad

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    All same here: No warning like normal when an update is coming. Now advising to update to latest version. I'm on R42.21, Mondo is R42.19.
    Will be interested to hear what is going on with this.
  • eperez99
    eperez99 Member ✭✭
    I started getting error OL-294-A on my Amex card a couple of days ago. Today got the same message to update to 42.21. Got updated, but the Amex error still there.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I'm going to agree with ps56k2 - let's keep AMEX out of this thread. it IS a different issue.
    Now, the reasons for this update, as Quicken says is to fix the tag problem created in 42.19 (maybe 42.8?)

If I recall correctly, this issue of the critical update pop-up happened before. May have even been one of my threads. And If I continue to recall, this was from a previous issue where the popup was accurate, but was triggered again in error, likely as it is right now. Could be wrong, but after coffee I seem to remember that.
    And if that all is true, it tells me that things are not well enough tested before release- especially when a forced unannounced release.

• The OL-294-A error started yesterday.  It looks like American Express had just made some major changes to their website.  I have a strong feeling that this issue is a part of those updates.  Things may be still "in progress".  I would suggest not doing anything and just wait it out, for now.

The update this morning to R42.21 was not "forced" for me.  I got a notice that an update was available.  I then updated after I finished the OSU. 
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting you had the update option Damian, but for me and others happened automatically.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2022
    I even had to do the "Check for Updates" on the Help menu to get it.  Whenever I get a notice that an update is available, I hold off until I finish updating and do a backup.  When I finished up, the notice to update was gone, so I did the "Check for Updates".  I've never had an update run automatically.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    It was not forced for me either. A popup came up when starting Quicken on my Windows 11 laptop (R42.19) no popup came up on my windows 11 laptop (R.42.8).  Both did show R42.21 as the latest update needing to be installed.  I NEVER EVER install ANY NEW UPDATE when it first hits... 

• Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I got the same pop up when I started Quicken and ran the auto update. I got it again after I did a bank update.

The included link took me here.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912673/updates-to-online-banking-coming-5-31-22-please-ensure-youre-on-the-latest-release-of-quicken/p1?new=1

I am on the latest release, R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21, using Windows 10. The Link says:

"What do I need to do?
    Make sure you've updated your Quicken version recently:
    If you're on Windows, you should be on version R36.23 or higher
    Windows Canada users should be on R40 or higher
    Mac (US or Canada), you should be on version 6.4 or higher"

Is this something buggy, or worse?
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    This Critical Update Popup says, in part, that my Bank or Brokerage Account will no longer download. My Accounts (Schwab) work perfectly so why this update is Critical is beyond me....

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll say it again:

If I recall correctly, this issue of the critical update pop-up happened before. May have even been one of my threads. And If I continue to recall, this was from a previous issue where the popup was accurate, but was triggered again in error, likely as it is right now. Could be wrong, but after coffee I seem to remember that.

Someone@Quicken should be along to comment, I am sure. Willing to bet it is the above happening once again.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    You may have a point @Bob.  But it is shown as R.42.21 not an earlier update from long ago...

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    To clarify, I am referring to the Critical Message which does not mention a version. This was acurate once before the 5/31 changes. Then has shown itself twice again including today when the message is NOT appropriate. Has nothing to do with version.

The new version is 42.21, was offered to some, forced on others. Separate issue. But the critical updat emessage is likely not supposed to be there and got set to trigger accidently in this latest update.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    THX @Bob. for the clarification...... At any rate this should not be taking place...

• CocoaPuff
    CocoaPuff Member ✭✭
    I received the same pop-up "Critical Update Required" message after a forced update to R42.21 this morning (Aug 1, 2022).

Mondo Patch Update site shows a R42.8 version.

Which version is the latest?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    CocoaPuff said:
    I received the same pop-up "Critical Update Required" message after a forced update to R42.21 this morning (Aug 1, 2022).

Mondo Patch Update site shows a R42.8 version.

Which version is the latest?
    Hello @CocoaPuff,     

Thank you for inquiring about release versions here on the Quicken Community.

The most recent release version for Quicken for Windows is R42.8. You can find more information about this matter in the 
    Support Article linked here.

EDIT:
     I do apologize for any confusion that this post has created. Version 42.21 is now being sent in staged releases to individual users. Be sure to check for updates by navigating to Help > Check for Updates in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Note that this patch should resolve the issue with tags disappearing that had been reported earlier. You can download the Mondo patch provided here in order to complete this process.

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just installed a new Quicken to a new computer 2 days ago. It shows R.42.19....

• CocoaPuff
    CocoaPuff Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared: The Mondo Patch site currently downloads the R42.19 Patch. The site contains the release notes for R42.8, but the download file is QW27.1.42.19MPatch.
  • Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    > @CocoaPuff said:
    > @Quicken Jared: The Mondo Patch site currently downloads the R42.19 Patch. The site contains the release notes for R42.8, but the download file is QW27.1.42.19MPatch.

Agree with CocoaPuff. The instructions do not match what is happening. I have 42.21 I don't want to install 42.19. Attached is a new popup message that I just got The included link goes here.

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

It includes links to the 42.19 patch which is earlier than what I have. I find no update to 42.8. This needs to get ironed out before I do any manual updates. Far too important data for that. I have run every update presented in quicken. I should not need to do a manual update anyway.
  • Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @CocoaPuff,     
    >
    > Thank you for inquiring about release versions here on the Quicken Community. 
    >
    > The most recent release version for Quicken for Windows is R42.8. You can find more information about this matter in the Support Article linked here.
    >
    > I hope that is helpful.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Your link does not mention the release that I am on. Something is messed up.

See attached image.
  • @roger everson  R42.19 is the latest update.  R42.8 was the update right before R42.19.  The update this morning was R42.21.

• Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    @Damian Thanks for that. I noticed the same thing. First, the updates are not sequenced properly, which does not particularly bother me. The constant pop ups are annoying. I guess that I got 42.8 two updates before 42.21? Confusing as heck, and I'm still getting pop-ups.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @quicken jared - you are two versions behind. As said by several folks above. I think there needs to be better internal communication as well as testing. And not being contentious. Being serious. Another support person had posted that CHASE EWC+ is released. It is not. End of September.
    Difficult to see offical posts that are in error. Confuses the issues.

• Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    @Bob I am quite confused as I have run every automatic update. I find no link to 42.8. My quicken says that it is up to date. I see the same history as @Damian posted above. Are you saying that @quicken jared is incorrect? Seems likely. The pop-ups are still annoying.
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    @quicken Jared,
    Please review the content of this thread. Your reply did not address any of the issues being discussed. Many of us got some kind of different than typical update this morning, and now version numbers are not making sense
    Thanks in advance for your time in getting this clarified for us.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bob I am quite confused as I have run every automatic update. I find no link to 42.8. My quicken says that it is up to date. I see the same history as @Damian posted above. Are you saying that @quicken jared is incorrect? Seems likely. The pop-ups are still annoying.

Sorry if I said anything confusing. 42.8 was the update BEFORE 42.19 which was the update before today's 42.21. I have not looked at Mondo's but trust if there is a 42.8 there that it actually downloads 42.19 as others mentioned as that was the immediate release before today's 42.21 which some got offered, some like me got forced.

I think Jared may be unaware there were updates after 42.8.

But I'll try not to muddy waters further.
This discussion has been closed.