How about a place to keep track of the last STABLE release?

whodiini
whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
As a long time quicken user, I have noticed that updates keep coming at a faster pace, sometimes several times a week,   In that time frame, there is no way to check the robustness of the changes and often they break things in Quicken.  So I thought that since Quicken is not willing to slow down the releases until they are robustly tested, some of the users can communicate which updates are more robust than others and skip the ones that are problematic. 

So as a start, R41.10 is the last release that I have found that is robust.  All the others after this one has had problems:  1)  Freezing after launch - suspect that there is an issue verifying the subscription.  2) Cannot add a check pay account.  Comes back with errors.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest version is R42.21. Quicken is making changes in the background and if you don't keep up, you won't be able to download, successfully.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    The problem I think Quicken would have with your suggestion is that THEY believe that EVERY release is a STABLE release.  ;)
    That brings up the question of who would decide what is stable.  I know several users that believe that would be Quicken 2013.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one isn't using the current release to download transactions into Quicken, the most stable release would be Quicken 2017 over Quicken 2013 version, because Quicken release a patch for Quicken 2017 beyond its expected period to do so, to fix a bug in all versions of Quicken. It wasn't release for Quicken 2016 and earlier versions.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    If one isn't using the current release to download transactions into Quicken, the most stable release would be Quicken 2017 over Quicken 2013 version, because Quicken release a patch for Quicken 2017 beyond its expected period to do so, to fix a bug in all versions of Quicken. It wasn't release for Quicken 2016 and earlier versions.
    But QW2013 did not require the use of the Quicken ID and knew nothing about QMobile or the Quicken cloud Account.  Taking those items into consideration, QW2013 is the LAST STABLE VERSION, PERIOD.
    There is also NOTHING in QW2013 that prevents a user from installing it if Quicken Inc were to fold and take down their registration servers.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    But QW2013 did not require the use of the Quicken ID and knew nothing about QMobile or the Quicken cloud Account.  Taking those items into consideration, QW2013 is the LAST STABLE VERSION, PERIOD.
    There is also NOTHING in QW2013 that prevents a user from installing it if Quicken Inc were to fold and take down their registration servers.
    Aren't there possible backward compatibility issues with the database structure used by the Subscription version?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly, the data file format is compatible back to and including QW2016.
    That has nothing to say about the download connection methods which have changed a whole lot since subscription Quicken came out in Fall 2017.  Those will bite you in the rear if you try downloading from financial institutions.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe @whodiini's intent was this to be a thread where users reported what release were stable for them, because you can't count on Quicken Inc to give you that information.  But I think even that "fails".  As you can sort of see just from the above answers.

Definitions:

Recession: Someone you know lost their job.
    Depression: You lost your job.

Stable: Release is working for you.
    Unstable: Release isn't working for you and maybe others.

Note that two above definitions don't care if a release is working for everyone else but you, as such whereas someone else reporting that a release is working for them doesn't imply it is "stable" for you.

For instance, with the exception of the release that broke the paychecks, the last "unstable" release for me was the release where the "bill presentment" corrupted lots of people's data.  I think that was in Quicken 2015.

Bottom line is that one should try to monitor the forum for "big problems" so that they know when a release is really unstable for a large amount of people, but for "stable", only you trying a release can tell you that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • whodiini
    whodiini Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Yup, so much for that idea....
This discussion has been closed.