Mutual Fund transactions issue

jollymon
jollymon Member ✭✭
Hello
I have a mutual fund account for which I make an automatic monthly deposit into from my credit union checking account. When I download the transactions, the credit union transaction will show the withdrawal from the account and a transfer into the "mutual fund" register in Quicken. Separately, the mutual fund company will push the "purchase of shares" transaction when that happens as a result. I am having difficulty matching these two separate transactions up. The transfer from the credit union account simply looks like a simple cash deposit (Xin action) to the mutual fund account. Separately, the mutual fund "share purchase" transaction (which uses the "added" action) shows shares, share price, etc and the two final amounts might be several pennies off. The end result is the transfer from the credit union account is showing a build up of a "cash balance" which truly isn't happening. What is the best way to handle this? I hope all of that makes sense.
Thanks,
Scott L.

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It should be using a Buy action.  And don't try to match the price per share.  Match to the cash amount.  Let the calculated price (shares/cost) be different, probably just due to some rounding.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It should be using a Buy action.  And don't try to match the price per share.  Match to the cash amount.  Let the calculated price (shares/cost) be different, probably just due to some rounding.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jollymon
    jollymon Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I changed the mutual fund company transaction action from "added" to "shares bought". The bigger balance went away; however, as you mentioned, there is now a 5 cent balance due to rounding. Should I just leave that penny balance as is or maybe tweak a share price so the overall numbers tie out?
This discussion has been closed.