Fun Facts...

Quicken Anja
Quicken Anja Moderator mod
edited February 2023 in The Water Cooler
It is August and time for another monthly icebreaker! 

Since most kids will be starting school this month (mine are starting next week), let's learn something new together! This month, we'd like to see what random fun facts you know.

Here's one I only just recently learned:
  • Australia is wider than the moon. The moon sits at 3400km in diameter, while Australia’s diameter from east to west is almost 4000km.

Please share any fun facts that you know with us! :)

-Quicken Anja
Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Comments

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know that parents can make a predication of their child's future adult height, by doubling it at age 2?  Of course this is a very rough estimate.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hey everybody, 

My fun fact is this: Last year, in November, the Royal Society of Chemistry with the University of Bath set the record for the highest voltage from a fruit battery, generating 2,307.8 volts from 2,923 lemons.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem too practical, given that after doing some calculations based on the average size of lemons and average US garage sizes according to a search engine, it looks like that's more or less enough fruit to fill up your garage. It would be tough to store batteries that large.

The more you know, anyway. 

Have a great day! 

-Quicken Jared 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    @Quicken Jared
    I think your calculation of the size of 2,923 lemons is a bit off. Say a lemon is a sphere 2" in diameter and you are packing them next to each other (not the most efficient packing). That is 6 lemons per foot, 36 per square foot, 216 per cubic foot. 

If you put them in one layer, that is 2,923/36 or about 81.2 square feet. That is about 9 x 9 feet, much smaller than a garage.

If you pile them up to make a cube, 2,923 / 216 = 13.53 cubic feet, or a cube about 2.38 feet or a little over 14 lemons on a side. Still a lot of lemons, but way less then you can fit in a garage.

A crystallographer will point out that you can pack them more efficiently by offsetting the rows and layers.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Twenty-seven of the fifty U.S. states have land north of Canada's southernmost point - Middle Island, Ontario.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you type the word "askew" into the Google search box, the entire page will tilt slightly.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out. A shrimp's heart is in its head. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.   And the common thread about these things?   They all matter not.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• CulpeppersCorner
    CulpeppersCorner Member
    edited August 2022
    Fun fact: > @Chris_QPW said:
    > If you type the word "askew" into the Google search box, the entire page will tilt slightly.

Fun fact: @Chris_QPW: This doesn't seem to work in Chrome on a 2018 Mac Mini running macOS 12.5 Monterrey... :disappointed:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Fun fact: > @Chris_QPW said:
    > If you type the word "askew" into the Google search box, the entire page will tilt slightly.

Fun fact: @Chris_QPW: This doesn't seem to work in Chrome on a 2018 Mac Mini running macOS 12.5 Monterrey... :disappointed:
    Hmm here is what it looks like on Windows 11/MS Edge:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Meta fun fact: if you go to www.google.com and type in "fun facts", you'll land in an endless rabbit hole of fun facts.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    If you type the word "askew" into the Google search box, the entire page will tilt slightly.
    Works on iPad safari!

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Here's one with a legal theme.  There's a basketball court on the top floor of the U.S. Supreme Court Building.  And it has a nickname. It is called "The highest court in the land..."
     :smiley:  
    Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.