Splitting a transaction across different dates

Toxalot
Toxalot Member ✭✭
I'm not sure how to record this. I purchase stock through an employee stock purchase plan. The amount is deducted from my pay and stock purchased on my behalf. The stock is purchased on the Tuesday, but the remaining pay doesn't go into my bank account until the Friday.

I want to record the stock purchase on the correct day so that stock price and currency exchange rate match up to historical prices. I also want to record pay deposit on the correct day so it doesn't look like I have more than I do when paying bills.

The only way I can figure to do this is to create a virtual "holding" account that my pay goes into for three days. But then I'm wondering if that's more trouble than it's worth.

Suggestions?

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nope.  That's the way to do it.  Set up an intermediate holding account.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Concur with volvogirl, the "virtual "holding" account" as you describe is the only option to have separate dates for the actions.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Nope.  That's the way to do it.  Set up an intermediate holding account.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Concur with volvogirl, the "virtual "holding" account" as you describe is the only option to have separate dates for the actions.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why so complicated?
    Record the stock purchase into the ESPP account when it happens on Tuesday
    Record the paycheck transaction including the split transfer to the ESPP account on Friday.
    Two simple transactions ... that's what I did years ago before I retired ...
  • Toxalot
    Toxalot Member ✭✭
    Two problems with putting funds into ESPP account on Friday.

- I don't like to see transactions out of order and the negative balance in ESPP account.
    - ESPP account is in a different currency, so deposit is affected by currency exchange rate on Tuesday.
This discussion has been closed.