Unable to link downloads to existing account

arguejon
arguejon Member ✭✭
edited September 2022 in All Things Canadian (Windows)
Running Quicken for Windows, R42.11 on Windows 10.
Attempting to re-link a Quicken existing chequing account to my BMO chequing account.
Steps:
1) Deactivate online services on the Quicken chequing account
2) Run through process to setup link to my BMO account
3) Successfully authenticate with BMO and my accounts are list.
4) I select "Link to existing account" and in the list of existing accounts, my Quicken chequing account is *not* shown, however other Quicken accounts I have are.

I have validated the data file and there are no issues.
I used to have this working but for some reason about a month ago, the link stopped working, hence why I deactivated the link and re-attempted the setup of online services.

Any suggestions as to what I could do from here?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    arguejon said:
    Running Quicken for Windows, R42.11 on Windows 10.
    Attempting to re-link a Quicken existing chequing account to my BMO chequing account.
    Steps:
    1) Deactivate online services on the Quicken chequing account
    2) Run through process to setup link to my BMO account
    3) Successfully authenticate with BMO and my accounts are list.
    4) I select "Link to existing account" and in the list of existing accounts, my Quicken chequing account is *not* shown, however other Quicken accounts I have are.

I have validated the data file and there are no issues.
    I used to have this working but for some reason about a month ago, the link stopped working, hence why I deactivated the link and re-attempted the setup of online services.

Any suggestions as to what I could do from here?
    Hello @arguejon

I am sorry to hear about this problem with account connectivity. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, what, exactly, was happening in the beginning when you were trying to link your BMO account? Were error messages appearing when trying to add or link the account(s)? Also, do you know what connection method would be in use when you attempt to link the accounts? There may be an Advanced Options tab in the lower right-hand portion of the Add Account screen where you type in the name of the Financial Institution that can be clicked for this information. 

I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, if a Quicken account register is not available to be "linked" with an account found at the bank, that's because it already is linked to the bank for downloading.
    You need to deactivate the account first, for it to become available for linking again.
    It might be best if you first deactivated all BMO accounts, including any old, long closed, hidden and forgotten accounts that are still activated. Next restart Quicken, create a backup of your data file and then use the Add Account process (icon in the Account Bar header) to log on to BMO and find your accounts. Carefully link each account found to the correct register.
  • arguejon
    arguejon Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    It looks like the issue is that Quicken believes that my account (originally setup as a Chequing account) is a *Credit card* account - therefore, when I attempt to link to an existing Quicken account it only shows my CC accounts. How do I fix it so that Quicken correctly classifies my account as a Chequing account?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    arguejon said:  ... Chequing account...
    just curious - where are you located ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• arguejon
    arguejon Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > just curious - where are you located ?

Victoria, BC Canada
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running the Canada version of Quicken ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• arguejon
    arguejon Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > Are you running the Canada version of Quicken ? 

Yes I am. It is the most recent version
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If BMO "thinks" that this chequing account is a credit card account ... is there something special going on with this account? For example, is this a Line of Credit account or some other, unusual (for us in the US) type of account?
  • arguejon
    arguejon Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > If BMO "thinks" that this chequing account is a credit card account ... is there something special going on with this account? For example, is this a Line of Credit account or some other, unusual (for us in the US) type of account?

Originally when I added the account it was correctly added as a chequing account. Then after a quicken update, syncing no longer worked.

I disabled the downloads and re-linked the account. It was at that point when I was attempting to link my bank account to the existing quicken account that Quicken shows the account type as credit card.

I found that I have the same issue with other chequing accounts - quicken now shows the type as credit card. This means that when I link, only quicken credit card accounts are available which is incorrect.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it. Support needs to review a download log file from your computer, to see what BMO downloads and if that is correct or what else needs to be done to get to the bottom of this.

Quicken Support:

• Peter Web
    Peter Web Member ✭✭
    Note there are many threads in the support pages detailing the same problem with BMO. Can search and find them. Going back to early 2022. Most threads get closed without resolution. I check back in once a month or so to see if any update, but nothing so far. One example (Bank of Montreal - Updates complete without an error message but transactions do not download)
This discussion has been closed.