Password problem

DBT
DBT Member
I set up up Quicken without a password. The other day it asked me if I wanted to create a password. I left the field blank and started using the software. Now it wants me to provide a password to login. The "forgot password" link doesn't work.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    When launching Quicken and opening a data file there are up to 2 different logins that can be required by Quicken before the data file will open:
    1. One is for the QuickenID and PW that ties your installation to your online Quicken.com account.  This allows Quicken.com to verify that your installation has a valid license, to tell your installation which edition of the software you are subscribed to and to verify which version your installation is.  Whatever you use for your Quicken.com account login is the login you use for this.  This is not an option...when prompted you must enter the login info in order to continue using the software.
    2. The other one is for the data file.  Having a login for your data file is optional and is probably what you were asked if you wanted to create a PW for.
    I'm guessing that when you are prompted to enter the login information you are being requested to enter the login information for #1, not #2.  So, try entering your Quicken.com login information and let me know what happens.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    As mentioned - there are 2 different password prompts -
    A - for your Quicken User ID / password - just like here on the forum - or on the Quicken website
    B - for password protecting your Quicken data file .... here is the prompt for the "data file" password

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DBT
    DBT Member
    Thanks for the feedback. The software was looking for the database password, which doesn't exist. I had a long chat with support and sent them my database file, but they were unable to remove the "password." I restored the penultimate back up, which works fine. The last backup would not restore. Fortunately I don't have too many entries to track down to bring the file current. I am a big believer in redundancy.
This discussion has been closed.