Transaction attachments are missing and keep disappearing

Options
toones
toones Member
I attached receipts to all of my transactions. I noticed today that, while there is a paperclips showing the attachment, when I click the paperclip, there is not attachment. I went through my transactions and I found that this impacts all transaction starting March 25, 2022.

Further, the system does not save attachments even today. If I attached a receipt, then view the attachment, it is there. If I close Quicken, then reopen it, the paperclip is there but I get the message there is no attachment. Basically, Quicken will not retain attachments after the program is closed and reopened.

If I verify the datafile, it will remove all of the paperclips that have no attachments. But it still will not retain attachments.

Comments

• toones
    toones Member
    Options
    I am using Quicken Starter R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21, Windows Enterprise 10. Membership valid until 3/10/23
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many attachments do you have on file?
    IIRC, in a previous discussion, there was mention of an upper limit to the number of files in the attachment folder within the .QDF file structure.
  • toones
    toones Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I have A LOT. I have 12,474 transactions covering 15 years. I would say about half have attachments, so probably 6k attachments.
  • toones
    toones Member
    Options
    Thank you UKR. The attachment limit seems to be the issue. I used the backup feature to archive all years but the last two and can now save attachments.

Quicken needs to do a better job of error handling in this instance. There should be an error that comes up when I reach the upper limit and the attachment feature should be disabled.
This discussion has been closed.