Are Known Online Issues ever resolved?

Options
gwpotter
gwpotter Member ✭✭
Starting early on August 15th I was unable to download Truist checking or credit card transactions. After trying everything I knew, I called Tech Support and during the call Quicken decided there was an issue - see https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917845/new-8-15-22-truist-bank-cc-506-and-fdp-106/p1?new=1

When nothing appeared to happen after 24 hours, I did some exploring of older issues in the Alerts, Online Banking & Known Product Issues area. I did not check extensively, but I did look at a couple of dozen threads beginning over a period of months. I found exactly zero where the problem was resolved.

Is there any reason to believe Mac users will be able to download from Truist in the future? If yes what time frame? (days? weeks? longer?). I notice the system only updates these events weekly -- which suggests to me they might go on indefinitely.

I am not asking to be flippant == rather if this is not going to be resolved, I would like to know and then I can move to another bank.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, they usually do get "resolved" even if they aren't all marked as such.  But almost never can anyone tell you the timeframe that will happen in. Some are temporary outages and are up in hours to days.  Some can drag on for months.  And yes, some never get resolved.

And the reason I quoted resolved above is because it might start working and then fail again at a later time.  This is especially true of Quicken Connect which connects to the financial institution using Intuit as the aggregator.  In most cases Intuit is getting the data based on not some standard protocol, but just some agreement with the financial institution, and changes on the financial institution's website can break the downloading of transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The issues with downloads are almost always forwarded to Intuit, Quicken's former parent company who continues to run all connectivity services under contract with Quicken. The moderators on this site are thus multiple levels away from the front lines on any outage situation. They manually update all the alert messages — it's not some nameless, automated system — to reflect that a known issue remains unresolved. The moderators usually don't have any idea how quickly a fix will take place, nor the details of what's going on (e.g. delay from the financial institution, delay at Intuit's end in re-programming to meet the financial institution's changes protocols, etc.), which is why the alert messages are very vanilla and do nothing more than acknowledge the issue remains outstanding. 

Yes, issues do get resolved, either when the financial institution completes their changes or removes their block on Quicken connecting or when Intuit completes programming changes to interface correctly with whatever changes the financial institution has made. (It's extremely rare that resolving a connectivity problem requires an update to the desktop Quicken application.) While you said you couldn't find any alerts which have been resolved, I did a quick search for resolved Truist issues and saw two in the past couple months:

Some issues get resolved within a week, some take a week or two, some take a month, and a small number linger on for longer. Again, if there's an issue of that length, you can be 99% certain it's due to some hold-up at the financial institution, and it's usually a good idea to contact the financial institution to press for a resolution or status update.

I will note that the current Truist problem appears to be a very new one — you noted you began experiencing this problem just yesterday — so there's no reason to think it won't be resolved. I would guess Truist is making multiple changes as they continue their absorption of SunTrust, so this is not terribly surprising. (But annoying, to be sure!) I doubt that any Quicken moderator here can give you a definitive answer to your question about the prognosis for clearing the Truist problem. You could pursue this by contacting Truist support, but my advice would be to sit back and wait, let the wheels of progress turn, and hope to see things back up and running again within a few days and not dragging on for a few weeks.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Note I just gave a generic answer for "all problems".  But it is very important to realize that there are two major groups of such problems.  If the financial institution connection is Direct Connect then almost 100% of the time the problem is with the financial institution, and all Quicken Inc/Intuit and the users can do it make them aware they have a problem and hopefully they will fix it.

Direct Connects flow is:
    Quicken (the program) talks directly to an OFX Server at the financial institution.

Intuit does maintain that lists on how to do the connection (URLs and such), and it is possible that something could change in Quicken Mac, but that is highly unlikely.  So, it leaves very little that isn't in the financial institution's domain.

Quicken Connect on the other hand has a flow like this:
    Quicken (the program), syncs to Quicken servers, which in turn get their data from Intuit, which in turn gets the transactions from the financial institution.

As you can see Quicken Connect has a lot more players/moving parts that can go wrong.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You might be interested in this Windows thread.  It seems at least some people are now able to download from Trust.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917833/truist-bank

And I want to state that the marking of "Resolved" usually lags when the users start posting that it is working again by quite some time.  I'm guessing the moderators are either just trying to be sure or waiting for the official word before marking them resolved.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.