Auto Reconcile leaves accepted entries marked with "C" rather than "R". How do I correct?

Mark Adams
Mark Adams Member ✭✭
With the latest release (42.21? and 43.14), I am having a new issue with Auto Reconcile (at least) of my bank accounts. I'm getting downloaded transactions, ensuring that they are matched, and completing the reconcile, yet still seeing a "C" rather than an "R" in the "Clear" column after the process. This is unexpected/different behavior. How can I get these transactions to be automatically marked as "R - Reconciled" ?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Mark Adams,

I just want to make sure I understand the problem you are seeing (since I haven't seen this being reported recently). 

Are these transactions, ones that are within the closing date of the reconciliation?  In other words, do they predate the end date of the reconciliation - usually this is the date of the bank statement (or bank period) that you are reconciling to?

If they are within the reconcile date, then this is a problem that I would suggest you contact Quicken Support about.  If they are later than (or outside of) the reconciliation date, then what you are seeing is normal behavior.

Let me know.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the response, Frank. Yes, it is the entries within the reconciliation date that I'm concerned with. These are not being marked with an R
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little confused here ... Usually I don't auto-accept downloaded transactions and then auto-reconcile against the online balance. A monthly Reconcile against a paper statement is enough for me.
    Are you sure that, in your case, your downloaded transactions have been accepted into the register first and then, in a second step, a Reconcile process runs to reconcile your register with the online balance? Or is the Reconcile process being skipped for some reason?
    Tell us a little more about what's happening, please.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you kicking off the reconcile after downloading, or is Quicken?
    When Quicken kicks it off after the download that is called "Auto Reconcile".

If this is really an "Auto Reconcile", what happens if you kick off the reconcile (Ctrl+R) and use that process?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    My description terms are incorrect. Sorry for the confusion.

When I do a "One-Step Update" of accounts, entries are downloaded for reconciliation. I typically verify the matches, and edit or add any new entries to finalize the process. If this matches the downloaded balance, the entries are typically finalized being marked with an "R". My issue is that the entries were getting marked with a "C" rather than "R", while the balances are matched with a difference of 0. I've been using this process since the auto update has been available, and I've never seen this behavior which happened several times recently.

Yesterday, I went to the bank site and manually downloaded content for reconcile. I don't typically do this with my bank entries. This process resulted in the entries being marked with R as expected.

I will need to observe things at my next opportunity for "One-Step Update".
  • Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    Problem described above still exists. Additional information: Bank of America has recently changed it's account transaction posting format.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Mark Adams

Can you tell us if you are using "auto reconcile" for this account?  That's what you seem to be describing above.  If you are not using it, then no "R"s would appear until you start the reconcile process manually - by first clicking on the gear icon and then selecting "Reconcile" (or just using the "CTRL+R" shortcut).

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Mark Adams
    Mark Adams Member ✭✭
    Yes (auto reconcile).
This discussion has been closed.