Best way to handle two sets of finances

John_M
John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
I'm sure that this question has been answered somewhere before here, but I can't find anything helpful. Here's the situation:

I need to start tracking my mother's finances, since she is going to a rehab facility for an undetermined length of time. It would be ideal if I were able to start a new data file with only her accounts. This would be easy if I didn't want to download transactions, but I do.

I'm guessing that if I wanted to have a separate data file and download transactions for it, I would likely need to have two different Quicken IDs, right? And in that case, I'd probably need two different subscriptions. If this is the case, it might not be worth the effort, since I don't know how long she's going to be away from home and need my help.

If it's not possible to have two data sets under one Quicken ID, it seems that the best option would be to just put her accounts in my data file, but mark them as Separate Accounts at the bottom. That way I'd still be able to download transactions under my Quicken ID.

Thanks for any suggestions that any of you SuperUsers can provide.

Best Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can have multiple data files under the same Quicken ID.  Many users do that for variety of reasons.  So you are good to go with your first option as you described and the transactions will download just fine for all accounts and data files.
    Of course your second option is fine too but the first one is better based on your needs description.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I currently have 8 Q data files under a single Q ID.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You can have multiple data files under the same Quicken ID.  Many users do that for variety of reasons.  So you are good to go with your first option as you described and the transactions will download just fine for all accounts and data files.
    Of course your second option is fine too but the first one is better based on your needs description.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I currently have 8 Q data files under a single Q ID.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to both of you. I'll give it a shot.
  • khilinski
    khilinski Member ✭✭
    I did that for my father in law when we took over his accounts. You don't need a new ID, you can simply go to file, new and set up a new .quicken file using the dialog that follows. Then you can switch between accounts under file, open recent. Best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.