Using Quicken outside of USA/Canada

Options
identifymyself
identifymyself Member ✭✭
edited October 2022 in Before you Buy
Hello team,
I just wanted to know if Quicken can be used outside of USA and Canada.

Cheers

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If your question is about whether Quicken can download from non-USA or non-Canada financial institutions, then the answer is no.  Quicken USA and Quicken Canada are designed to be used only with USA and Canadian financial institutions so those are the only ones that Quicken can only download from.
    However, Quicken USA and Quicken Canada can be set up and used manually no matter what the country is.
    If your question is about whether or not Quicken can download from USA or Canadian financial institutions when traveling outside of the USA or Canada, then the answer is, yes, it can but note the following:  I used to travel extensively to Asia for business and there were sometimes issues encountered getting downloads from my USA financial institutions.  I think the financial institutions thought that a Quicken download request coming from an IP address from some place in Asia was a security risk so they would block it.  But after I changed my VPN settings to route through a USA server (with a USA IP address) instead from an Asian server (with an Asian IP address) I usually was then able to get transaction downloads without issue.  
    Does this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    If your question is about whether Quicken can download from non-USA or non-Canada financial institutions, then the answer is no.  Quicken USA and Quicken Canada are designed to be used only with USA and Canadian financial institutions so those are the only ones that Quicken can only download from.
    However, Quicken USA and Quicken Canada can be set up and used manually no matter what the country is.
    If your question is about whether or not Quicken can download from USA or Canadian financial institutions when traveling outside of the USA or Canada, then the answer is, yes, it can but note the following:  I used to travel extensively to Asia for business and there were sometimes issues encountered getting downloads from my USA financial institutions.  I think the financial institutions thought that a Quicken download request coming from an IP address from some place in Asia was a security risk so they would block it.  But after I changed my VPN settings to route through a USA server (with a USA IP address) instead from an Asian server (with an Asian IP address) I usually was then able to get transaction downloads without issue.  
    Does this answer your question?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @identifymyselfyou’ll want to have a look at this discussion regarding the invalid credentials error that some users outside the US/Canada have been experiencing:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915219/invalid-credentials-when-using-quicken-outside-of-us

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• identifymyself
    identifymyself Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Boatnmaniac Thank you so much for taking time to answer my question.
    I think that this is what I need to know before making any purchase.
    My concerns is that I'm not from USA but based outside USA/Canada, and found out this software very interesting for me and my business.
    Anyway, I'll opt for another tool to deal with my accounting stuff.

Best regards and, again, thank you. Have a wonderful day.
  • DericRock
    DericRock Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    One other point that may be relevant: The Quicken app for iOS and Android is only available in the Stores where Quicken will download from financial institutions. So if you have a Dutch phone number and have activated the the Dutch Android store, like me, then you don't get to use the Quicken app.
    Quicken user since 1995, now using Premier Subscription on Win10 Home.
This discussion has been closed.