Memorize name rules not working as described?

Options
PeterV959
PeterV959 Member ✭✭
I am using Quicken for Windows V43.14 but I'm still kinda new to this again. I used Quicken way back in the dark ages of DOS and Windows 3.0-3.11. Anyway, having just bought my laptop, I wanted to move from my cloud based program to Quicken. I cobbled together a way to convert a CSV to a QIF in Excel/VBA and got all that in and balanced. I would like to standardize my payee names but the rule change or add does not work as described in the help screen. It does not pop up when I change an existing transaction, it just changes the payee and moves on to the clicked-on different transaction (per the help screen). If I get to "+ Add a rule" on the Name Memorization screen it pops up a dialog box with two text boxes, neither of which are drop downs. The challenge to this will be that each Zelle transaction that comes in from Truist has a Zelle transaction number in it making each payee unique. I guess I was hoping for some kind of Regular Expression (RegEx) ability in the match field or even multiple "contains" matching. Specifically I need it to match a name, the word "Zelle", and whether it's a "to" or "from" transaction. I can live without it but it would be really helpful.

I have attached a cropped screenshot of what I am looking at.

Thanks.

PeterV

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    More complex renaming rules and/or a rework of the process would indeed be helpful.
    I found that, after creating a Renaming Rule for a Payee, you need to do one more step:
    Go into Renaming Rules. Click the triangle next to the Payee Name and change the "If Quicken name is" field to "If Payee contains".
    This works for my renaming needs. YMMV.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    More complex renaming rules and/or a rework of the process would indeed be helpful.
    I found that, after creating a Renaming Rule for a Payee, you need to do one more step:
    Go into Renaming Rules. Click the triangle next to the Payee Name and change the "If Quicken name is" field to "If Payee contains".
    This works for my renaming needs. YMMV.
  • PeterV959
    PeterV959 Member ✭✭
    Options
    That helps. Now I may have to create rules. Then I presume I must run through my two years of transactions with Find & Replace to adjust my older records.

Thank you.

PeterV
This discussion has been closed.