I have one bank account but want to separate it into 2 accounts. How do I reconcile it?

swestendorf
swestendorf Member
I want to track 2 different balances but keep them in 1 account.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could do it using two Tags, one for each "subaccount", assign them to transactions appropriately and then run a Tag report.
    No way I know of doing it with two registers.
    Care to explain why you need to do this?  Maybe, someone will have a different way to get the same result.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another possible way would be with a Savings Goal, but that would depend on what is actually being done which you have not fully described.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • dc0063
    dc0063 Member ✭✭✭
    One simple method is to use categories/sub-categories as a 'sub ledger' for Acct1 and Acct2 and then write a report to see the separate balances. You can use both income and expenses in the same category.
    If you need further detail of the transactions, you might use tags for the Acct & Acct 2, allowing you to use categories as normal. Again write the report to show the detail and period.
  • thank you all. I will try one of these suggestions. For reference, I am treasurer for a small charitable organization. We have the operating account and then a separate category within that operating account that we can use for our group's charitable use (cards for death in family, operations, etc.) The organization wants us to keep the funds in the same account but we do not have to turn the group's special account. I want to be able to report to the group the breakout of the operating and the special. Thank you.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    thank you all. I will try one of these suggestions. For reference, I am treasurer for a small charitable organization. We have the operating account and then a separate category within that operating account that we can use for our group's charitable use (cards for death in family, operations, etc.) The organization wants us to keep the funds in the same account but we do not have to turn the group's special account. I want to be able to report to the group the breakout of the operating and the special. Thank you.
    I would lean toward exploring the Saving Goals option for the 'special' fund.  
This discussion has been closed.