On Quicken for Mac is there a way to edit category names?

Don L Turner
Don L Turner Member ✭✭
I have just moved from Window to Mac. I am rethinking some of my original planning ideas. I have a category that has a name no longer descriptive of how it's being used. Is there a way to edit that category name and change it to a more appropriate name?

Best Answer

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    I have just moved from Window to Mac. I am rethinking some of my original planning ideas. I have a category that has a name no longer descriptive of how it's being used. Is there a way to edit that category name and change it to a more appropriate name?
    Hello @Don L Turner

Thanks for bringing the subject of editing categories up for discussion here on the Quicken Community.

You should be able to edit Category Names by navigating to Window > Categories in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, then click on the Category in question from the window that appears, and click on the button with the 'pencil' icon in the lower left-hand corner of that window. You should then see a bar listed next to Name: in the window that follows that allows you to double-click and change the name. 

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello @Don L Turner

Thanks for bringing the subject of editing categories up for discussion here on the Quicken Community.

You should be able to edit Category Names by navigating to Window > Categories in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, then click on the Category in question from the window that appears, and click on the button with the 'pencil' icon in the lower left-hand corner of that window. You should then see a bar listed next to Name: in the window that follows that allows you to double-click and change the name. 

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Changing the category name will change it for all the old transactions that used it. If that name was appropriate in the past but isn't now, then maybe you should create a new category instead of renaming the old one? Just something to think about.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• > @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello @"Don L Turner", 
    >
    > Thanks for bringing the subject of editing categories up for discussion here on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > You should be able to edit Category Names by navigating to Windows > Categories in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, then click on the Category in question from the window that appears, and click on the button with the 'pencil' icon in the lower left-hand corner of that window. You should then see a bar listed next to Name: in the window that follows that allows you to double-click and change the name. 
    >
    > I hope that is helpful. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Thank you, Jared. That worked perfectly. I would have never thought to look there to edit a category.
  • > @Jon said:
    > Changing the category name will change it for all the old transactions that used it. If that name was appropriate in the past but isn't now, then maybe you should create a new category instead of renaming the old one? Just something to think about.

Hello Jon. That is excellent advice. But in my case, no old budgets exist on my new computer, just the one I spent the day recreating for 2022. Also, in this particular case, the new name would still work for the old data. The old name was too specific and never actually represented the totality of the expenses captured in that category.
  • Quicken Jared
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @Don L Turner
    >
    > Thanks for bringing the subject of editing categories up for discussion here on the Quicken Community.
    >
    > You should be able to edit Category Names by navigating to Windows > Categories in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, then click on the Category in question from the window that appears, and click on the button with the 'pencil' icon in the lower left-hand corner of that window. You should then see a bar listed next to Name: in the window that follows that allows you to double-click and change the name. 
    >
    > I hope that is helpful. 
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Thank you, Jared. That worked perfectly. I would have never thought to look there to edit a category.
    Hello @Don L Turner,             

Thanks so much for getting back to us to let us know how this advice worked for you. I am glad to hear that this information was helpful. Feel free to reach out again anytime with additional questions or concerns.

Have a great day!

Quicken Jared 

This discussion has been closed.