Chase Credit Card Balance Problem

JZ78
JZ78 Member ✭✭
I changed my Chase online access to the new web connection. I ran into similar issues as reported in other posts. I was able to stumble into the deactivate / reactive issue, However, I now have problems in my accounts. When I post a charge it decreases my balance and when I post a payment it increase the balance

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are in a positive balance situation.  Unless you have overpaid your CC, that is unlikely.
    Check the Opening Balance of the account to make sure it is correct.
    Other things to check for is extra, duplicate payments that would put you in an overpayment balance.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• JZ78
    JZ78 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, I forgot to look at the opening balance, which was changed after the Chase problem. Wonder if any other encountered the same issue.
  • likeke
    likeke Member ✭✭
    Hi...I just posted the same question under the "Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)" question category.
    @Splasher...you responded to me with the same exact text. I don't think this is the problem but is some kind of programming problem with the software that needs to be fixed by Quicken.
    I noted in my discussion that after the update, the begining balance somehow got changed from zero to a large value and that is what probably causing the problem. So my question is how/why did it get changed and how to correct the opening balance since it was created during the account creation.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    likeke said:
    Hi...I just posted the same question under the "Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)" question category.
    @Splasher...you responded to me with the same exact text. I don't think this is the problem but is some kind of programming problem with the software that needs to be fixed by Quicken.
    I noted in my discussion that after the update, the begining balance somehow got changed from zero to a large value and that is what probably causing the problem. So my question is how/why did it get changed and how to correct the opening balance since it was created during the account creation.
    Read my response to your other post.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    JZ78 said:
    Thanks for the tip, I forgot to look at the opening balance, which was changed after the Chase problem. Wonder if any other encountered the same issue.
    This is not an issue with Chase only.  It is happening to lots of users when they re-activate One Step Update for an existing account that using either the EWC or EWC+ download methods (See Account List on Tools menu for which is used on a specific account).
    I suggest entering the amount of the Opening Balance in the Memo field for future reference in case it happens again

• JZ78
    JZ78 Member ✭✭
    Good suggestion, since Quicken obviously hasn't fixed the issue. I have a duplicate copy of Quicken on my travel laptop and just was forced to changed the connection to Chase. Had the same problem after the update, had to change the opening balance to the correct amount.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened with me when I converted Chase to EWC+ was that there were some duplicate transactions entered into the Chase account register.  The Opening Balance transaction amount was also changed by the sum total of those duplicate transactions.  Correcting the Opening Balance amount and deleting the duplicate transactions resolved the issue and the account was in balance, again.
    Others have reported experiencing the same thing.
    So besides checking/correcting your Opening Balance transaction amount you might want to look for and delete any duplicate transactions.  Any duplicate transactions would most likely be somewhere within the 3 months prior to conversion to EWC+.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• rdrich
    rdrich Member ✭✭
    I also had duplicate transactions, going back a few months. Restored from backup and re-did the Chase procedure. Again, dupe transactions.
    Deleted dupes manually and carefully reconciled to statement.
This discussion has been closed.