Security Name vs just CUSIP or Ticker Symbol for Capital Gains Report please

MontanaKarl
MontanaKarl Member, Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
edited October 8 in Reports (Mac)
A key frustration for me with QMac is the tax report, particularly the Capital Gains (Schedule D) section.   Please display the full security name (or at least give an option to display it) as well as the CUSIP/ticker symbol.

QMac only displays the CUSIP (for bonds) or the Ticker Symbol (for traded securities) as seen in the screenshot below.  Once something is sold, you can't find it in the Portfolio... so I just don't see an easy way to see what CUSIP corresponds to what previously-owned bond (or treasury, etc).  Depending on the brokerage, at reconciliation time, their report will display the name... and NOT the CUSIP... so you have to guess to sort all of this out - or do a lot of Googling.

Compare this QMac screenshot (current release) with the QWin screenshot (current release - but has always been this way) - where a separate column gives the full security name.

compare the above to QWin where it is easy to see what 379699H61 or 8975912 might be since we have two columns - Security [name] and Symbol [or CUSIP].

Curiously, QWin does not give the CUSIP for the US Treasury Bill ... but QMac does... although we have no idea that it is a Treasury Bill in the QMac report.

Quicken Windows and Mac subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.
iMac Pro, macOS Monterey 12.6.1 -  Windows 10 via Parallels Desktop 17
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 6
    [EDITED to fix backwards description] Oddly, the report uses security symbols in one place and names in another. The symbol is used in the Long-Term Capital Gains section of the Schedule D listing, if you sold shares of securities. (This is what you described above.) But if you received capital gains dividends, that's listed separately as "LT gain/loss - security", and there it uses the security name, not symbol.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    Hmm, @jacobs ... doesn't seem the case for me.  The ICSH was shares sold - not a posted gain.  The others are all bonds which matured... which is entered by Quicken as a sale, to clear the position.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 6
    I wrote it backwards above (and now fixed it). Here's what I'm seeing with a sampling of parts of the Tax Schedule report…

In one part, it reports Schedule D transactions for securities which were sold. These are reported with the security symbol, as you said. All sales are reported here, even if there is no capital gain, as is the case with the first four transactions in this screenshot for VMRSS, a money market fund with no gains:

But above that in the report, I see another Schedule D section in which capital gains dividends are reported, and in this section, it uses the security name, not the symbol:

I agree that this should be standardized, so both parts of the report use the security name — or give the user the option to have names or symbols throughout the report. 

This is one of the few very old reports which carried over using the 2010-era Quicken Essentials report generator, and they haven't re-written it. It's probably got some complicated code. It looks like space on the page was an issue, and they probably used the symbol for the part of the report which has to display 7 columns of data. I don't know if the developers are aware of this issue, and if they are, whether they consider it something worth mucking around in the old code to fix. At some point, they likely plan to re-create this report using the modern report engine, so they might delay fixing this discrepancy until then. But it's a worthwhile request for them to fix — and perhaps we/they would get lucky and it would be a very simple change to make. ;) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    edited September 7
    Thanks for the clear details about this report and issue, @jacobs
    I hope the product team considers this, whether this gets many votes or not.  With the continual improvements we've seen in QMac in recent years, this is one of the main remaining issues that makes me prefer QWin.  On the other hand, QMac is handling downloaded bond maturities automatically as sales - as it should - while QWin handles them as 'deposits' which I have to manually edit to a sale to clear the position and get the proper Sched D amounts.  So, I can't say one platform or the other is all roses :-)