Access Quicken files on MacBook

Options
rcparks
rcparks Member
edited October 2022 in All Things Canadian (Mac)
I use Quicken for Mac 6.9.0 on a MAC Desktop. I travel with a MacBook (High Sierra 10.13.6). Is there a way to access my Q files while using the MacBook

Best Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    You can synchronize your *.quicken file between the two computers ... when neither has the file open.

Using cloud storage directly apparently leads to issues including file corruption if I recall a variety of past posts correcly.   Using cloud storage as a go-between for syncing is OK (copy to cloud storage when you leave your desktop, copy from cloud storage to your desired local folder before opening on your laptop) - with the advantage of giving you a cloud=off-site backup of your file at the same time.  Any direct/network sync app is good, as is the old standby of a thumb drive.  If you have a USB 3 speed thumbdrive and USB 3 speed ports on both machines, then you can even open directly from the thumbdrive.

PS. By default, QMac annoyingly (to me) puts the *.quicken data file in:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents

For all kinds of other things, I backup my ~/Documents folder regularly and want my Quicken file there.  You just have to move the file from the Library location to where you want it ... and then open it from the new location... and subsequent launches will continue to open it from the new location, as the last-opened file.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Three ways of doing this and I am listing them based on my "personal" preference.
    1) Use a remote access program (such as TeamViewer or others) to connect to your desktop from the laptop and then use Quicken.
    2) Install Quicken on both systems.  Transfer your Quicken Data File (compress it first) via a USB thumb drive (or any other method) back and forth.  VERY IMPORTANT to not get the files confused and ALWAYS use the latest one - the last one you used.  Otherwise you risk data corruption.
    3) Use the Web version of Quicken where your Desktop's Quicken data gets synced to the Quicken Cloud and then you can access your data on the laptop via Web.  Some reduced functionality and some users have reported data sync issues (hence my least favorite)
    Disclaimer: I am a Windows user.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    You can synchronize your *.quicken file between the two computers ... when neither has the file open.

Using cloud storage directly apparently leads to issues including file corruption if I recall a variety of past posts correcly.   Using cloud storage as a go-between for syncing is OK (copy to cloud storage when you leave your desktop, copy from cloud storage to your desired local folder before opening on your laptop) - with the advantage of giving you a cloud=off-site backup of your file at the same time.  Any direct/network sync app is good, as is the old standby of a thumb drive.  If you have a USB 3 speed thumbdrive and USB 3 speed ports on both machines, then you can even open directly from the thumbdrive.

PS. By default, QMac annoyingly (to me) puts the *.quicken data file in:
    ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents

For all kinds of other things, I backup my ~/Documents folder regularly and want my Quicken file there.  You just have to move the file from the Library location to where you want it ... and then open it from the new location... and subsequent launches will continue to open it from the new location, as the last-opened file.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Three ways of doing this and I am listing them based on my "personal" preference.
    1) Use a remote access program (such as TeamViewer or others) to connect to your desktop from the laptop and then use Quicken.
    2) Install Quicken on both systems.  Transfer your Quicken Data File (compress it first) via a USB thumb drive (or any other method) back and forth.  VERY IMPORTANT to not get the files confused and ALWAYS use the latest one - the last one you used.  Otherwise you risk data corruption.
    3) Use the Web version of Quicken where your Desktop's Quicken data gets synced to the Quicken Cloud and then you can access your data on the laptop via Web.  Some reduced functionality and some users have reported data sync issues (hence my least favorite)
    Disclaimer: I am a Windows user.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.