How do I create subaccount for a new asset?

Thomas
Thomas Member ✭✭
Adding new solar PV system, and would like to track as a subaccount to my house asset account. Is there any way to do that in Quicken Windows?

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My response was incomplete. I do have an expense category for solar where I track the cost for reporting. The House Basis account is completely self-contained because I only use it to track basis.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QWin does not support subaccounts. You could make a new asset account called House-Solar but there is no subtotaling.

If you want to track your spending on the solar system separate from other house expenses, you could make a subcategory or a Tag for that. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited September 2022
    I use an account named "House Basis". When I need to add a capital expenditure which increases basis, I enter a transaction for that amount categorized as [House Basis], i.e., a self-transfer.
    So the amount spent on my solar was entered as a positive number which increased basis. The associated residential energy tax credit I received was entered as a negative number because it reduced basis.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Thomas
    Thomas Member ✭✭
    Very good point tax-wise. To track solar cost in [House Basis] I'd have to use tags,then run report. I'll use a separate asset [Solar New] for now.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Answer ✓
    My response was incomplete. I do have an expense category for solar where I track the cost for reporting. The House Basis account is completely self-contained because I only use it to track basis.

This discussion has been closed.