Remove automatic category population

Options
btudor
btudor Member
I am looking for help as every time I download my banking information, the same category is automatically populated for each transaction. I do not want this. Where can I go to remove this?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do the transactions all get the same Payee also? If so you may have a Memorized Payee and/or a Renaming rule that maps everything to that Payee and its Category. 

Go to Tools > Renaming rules and look for a rule that maps to the problem Payee and delete it. Then go to Tools > Memorized Payee list and delete the problem payee if it is there.

To avoid future issues, go to Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill and un-check Automatically memorize new payees. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • btudor
    btudor Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. But it isn't the same payee, it is all payees so this doesn't help.
  • isthistexas
    isthistexas Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Any resolution here? I unchecked via Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions > Automatically categorize transactions. I killed the application, opened, and verified box was not checked. Next download it still adds the category which is causing an issue because it is overwriting a transfer between two accounts. If I correct the automatic category assigned, in this case a split, then I end up with a duplicate transfer line on the other account?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any resolution here? I unchecked via Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions > Automatically categorize transactions. I killed the application, opened, and verified box was not checked. Next download it still adds the category which is causing an issue because it is overwriting a transfer between two accounts. If I correct the automatic category assigned, in this case a split, then I end up with a duplicate transfer line on the other account?
    Transfers are a different kettle of fish from regular charge transactions.

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings for the detection and processing of transfer transactions can be found in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.  (This also includes Cash Withdrawals if you record them as transfers from Checking to a Cash account register)
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

This discussion has been closed.