Consolidate Multiple Quicken Accounts

jimbean2
jimbean2 Member ✭✭
edited November 1 in Reports (Mac)
I have multiple standalone Quicken accounts which I would like to have an option to consolidate information for reporting purposes. As an example, I have 1 account for personal expenses and 2 others for businesses that I need to track separately for tax/personal purposes.
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jimbean2 Before diving into this, could you clarify what you're referring to as an "account"? In Quicken, accounts appear in the left sidebar, where you might have checking, savings, credit card, investment and other types of accounts. Reports by default will include all accounts, but can be customized to be limited to one or selected accounts. Some users with businesses maintain multiple Quicken data files to keep their business and personal data separate. Are you referring to the former (how to do reports encompassing multiple accounts in a single Quicken data file) or the latter (how to do reports encompassing accounts in multiple data files)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jimbean2
    jimbean2 Member ✭✭
    What I referred to as Accounts should be Quicken Data Files. Sorry about the confusion.
  • jacobs
    So just to be clear so I don’t give wrong advice: you currently have three separate Quicken data files, and you want to merge them into one?
  • jimbean2
    jimbean2 Member ✭✭
    Not merge them into one Quicken Data File. Keep them separate but be able to consolidate the account information for reporting purposes. For example, for an investment report, be able to consolidate all investment accounts into one report.
  • jacobs
    Ah, thanks for clarifying. The answer is simply no: there is no way to have separate data files but have Quicken peek into each of them to build a report. Separate data files in Quicken are completely separate; in order to open one, it must close the one which is open; it is not designed to be able to pull data out of multiple files. And since doing so would require a huge architectural change to the program, I wouldn't expect to see such an idea advanced for future development.
  • jimbean2
    jimbean2 Member ✭✭
    I knew that. Just a Hail Mary to the quicken development team.
  • jacobs
    Haha, you get no answers from the development team on this forum, I'm afraid. Only educated guesses, or plain ol' guesses) from regular users like me. ;)