Crash

Options
DEven
DEven Member
My Quicken crashed yesterday and I seem to have lost all the data that I had entered. It crashed when I was trying to pull up a report. Any suggestions on what I can do to retrieve the data that was entered. Unfortunately I did not have all the info backed up at the time as I was entering data.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello @DEven

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you lost data after your Quicken application crashed. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to retrieve your data after Quicken crashed if you did not perform a backup after entering your information. I do understand how frustrating this can be. 

I hope this clears things up.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Normally, every single transaction is saved to the Quicken data file on your hard drive immediately after entering it. So, unless the crash rendered your data file unusable or inaccessible, just opening the data file again should take you back to where you left off, maybe minus the last transaction you were working on at time of crash.
    After the crash, did you reboot Windows first and then restart Quicken? What were the results?
    Where is your data file located (should be C:\Users\your_username\Documents\Quicken)
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?

• DEven
    DEven Member
    Options
    I did not reboot Windows. I did restart Quicken and it seemed to have reverted back to my old data from like 4 years ago. I just installed the newest edition in the spring because the same thing happened then. It looks like I have to reinstall the latest edition again :( US edition
  • Brad2
    Brad2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken just updated itself and no longer runs! What happened???
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DEven said:
    I did not reboot Windows. I did restart Quicken and it seemed to have reverted back to my old data from like 4 years ago. I just installed the newest edition in the spring because the same thing happened then. It looks like I have to reinstall the latest edition again :( US edition
    Are you sure you have opened the correct (current) data file with all the new transactions?
    It has happened to me that an unintentional mouse click while moving the mouse pointer over the register has resulted in the register now being sorted by a column other than Date in ascending order ... which may make it look as if the register is full of old data.
    Please check to see if the register is sorted by Date: Look at the column header titles. When sorted properly by Date in ascending order (newest transactions at the bottom of the pile), the column header will have a black triangle next to it, pointing up ▴. If not, click on Date to sort the register by the Date column.
    Also please verify that the register, after sorting, really is scrolled all the way to the bottom. The fastest way to get to the bottom of the register is to press CTRL-End

This discussion has been closed.