store refunds showing as debits

Mangelo
Mangelo Member ✭✭
I have an issue when automatically downloading transactions from my credit union. As shown in the attached picture, returns I make at the store are showing as debits when they get downloaded from the CU. I read somewhere that Quicken needs to write a script to "fix" this with my Financial Institution.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Hi @Mangelo,

I can't tell from the cropped image that you attached, but if you are saying that a return you made (on a prior credit card charge) is showing up as an entry that increases your credit card amount due, then I agree that something is wrong.  Since I don't know which financial institution you are referring to, I (we)  have no way of knowing which action (increase or decrease) is being taken.

Frankx 

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your clip would be so much more useful if you included the column titles.  People set up their registers in different ways so without column titles it's just about impossible to decipher how an isolated transaction is really affecting things.
    Looking at your picture and assuming that the far right column is the "Balance" column of your register, it appears to me that Quicken is telling you that the credit card company owes you $6,174.45.  I say that because a credit card Account typically has a balance number that's red, and has a minus sign in front of it. 
    If a return or payment puts your credit card balance into a "the credit card company owes you" situation instead of the normal "you owe the credit card company" situation, then a return will work exactly as you describe it: it increases the dollar amount on the "Balance" column instead of decreasing it.  Any chance that's what's happening here?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is a checking account in the screenshot, not a credit card account.  The "Check #..." field gives that away, not to mention credit cards transactions don't have check numbers.

On the other hand I agree with the posts that without the column headers it is hard to tell what we are looking at.

The important part being:

The last number is the balance, it can't be anything else, cut the two numbers might be different things depending on what columns you have selected.

And they can't be Payment and Deposit because these fields don't have negative numbers in them.
    The Amount field has both positive and negative numbers, but then that leaves what the other column is up in the air.  And for that matter the -12.24 can't be the Amount column, because if it is turned on it is next to the balance column.

Here is an example of when the Payment and Deposit columns are selected.

Also it is best to include the transaction before the one in question, because it will show the balance before the the transaction so it can be shown if the "math" is wrong.

Here is an example with the Amount column on.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mangelo
    Mangelo Member ✭✭
    Thank you everyone for your input. The -12.24 is what was downloaded from my Financial Institute, from now on referred to by FI, (Community First Credit Union of Florida) I manually changed it to 12.24 as it was a returned item to Autozone. I have had the same thing happen from other retailers, not just Autozone. It seems every time I return an item to a store and get a credit on my FI it downloads as a debit.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of us here recommend, instead of using the single Amount column add the Payment and Deposit columns and delete the Amount column.  Click on the Gear Icon right above the balance column and unselect  the "Amount" Column (1st one) and make sure the Deposit and Payment columns are checked.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the screenshot that make is much clearer of what you are seeing.
    And definitely agree there is a bug here.

Note that since I can tell from your fianancial institution name that this account has to be setup using Express Web Connect.  This is the kind of problem only be fixed by reporting it to Quicken Support and have them escalate the problem, which might involve getting Intuit (their aggregator) or the financial institution to change something.
    Contact Quicken Support

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mangelo
    Mangelo Member ✭✭
    Thanks Chris.
  • Mangelo
    Mangelo Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Most of us here recommend, instead of using the single Amount column add the Payment and Deposit columns and delete the Amount column.  Click on the Gear Icon right above the balance column and unselect  the "Amount" Column (1st one) and make sure the Deposit and Payment columns are checked.

I made that change and see how it can help me. Thank you for the suggestion.

Matt
  • Mangelo
    Mangelo Member ✭✭
    The quest continues. Quicken support says it is the way the transactions are handed to them from my FI. I created a new data file with them on the phone walking me through the whole process. When the numbers were all downloaded from my FI the store returns were still showing up as if I made purchases. i will try to keep this thread updated. Calling the credit union tomorrow.
  • Mangelo
    Mangelo Member ✭✭
    Called the credit union and went back and forth with level 1 support, aka the telephone teller, basically like a teller but on the ...., nevermind, you understand. She put me on hold a couple of times and finally came back on and said she would put in a trouble ticket with their IT support. Still waiting for a call back.
This discussion has been closed.