Duplicate transactions after mandated change to new connection method

evsteve
evsteve Member ✭✭
Following quicken instructions to update my connection type for Bank of America and Chase accounts and then downloading transactions I now have duplicates for about the last 90 days in the 3 accounts I have associated with those banks. The FITIDs for the duplicates are indeed different from those of the originals. I started to delete the originals but that's pretty tedious since some of those were modified after download (eg, I have added memos, changed categories, etc). Very frustrating.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    If you marked as reviewed the originals before the download, it's pretty easy to delete the duplicates as they will be the only transactions not marked reviewed. You can use the Not Reviewed filter to see only them and delete. Once the deleted, the duplicates should not download again. So delete the duplicates, not the originals.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you delete those duplicate downloaded transactions rather than accepting them so that they are entered in your register that may not be the last you'll see of them. When I first did the conversion it downloaded a bunch of transactions that were already cleared and reconciled in my register. Rather than have Quicken just enter these duplicates into the register only to have to delete them I just deleted them from list of downloaded transactions waiting to be accepted and entered into the register. Once I did that all was well and I thought that was the end of it. Then some time later out of the blue they were downloaded again and once again I deleted them. Then this morning they were downloaded again and once again I deleted them. Anyone else having a similar problem? Why does it keep downloading the same transactions? This does not happen in the Direct Connect version of my data file I maintain in parallel to a EWC+ version only in the EWC+ version.
  • evsteve
    evsteve Member ✭✭
    @rpgarrett75703 my experience was similar up to just your first download. turns out those transactions have a different FITID than the originals. to prevent the dupes from being downloaded again, it's the originals that must be deleted, keeping the "new" ones with the new FITID. I'm still waiting for somebody to come up with something better b/c deleting the originals, some of which have changes I made, eg, to correct a payee or categorize it as a transfer from/to another account etc.; and picking up those changes and applying them to the new version is tedious and error prone (at least for me). and I have dozens of these dupes across 3 accounts (BofA checking and credit card, and Chase credit card).
  • evsteve
    evsteve Member ✭✭
    @RickO see my earlier comment. if you delete the new ones, they'll download again.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @evsteve Quicken maintains a hidden list of every FITID it has ever downloaded, so once you delete a transaction with a given FITID number, if it gets downloaded from the financial institution again, Quicken ignores it and doesn't place it in your register. This is why it's safe to delete the ones which just downloaded with the new connection. The old ones have been reconciled, edited, categorized, etc., which is why @RickO suggested deleting the new duplicates rather than the older ones — you don't want to redo that work.

The change in connection method from Chase resulted in new FITID numbers for every transaction, resulting in these duplicates. But it's a one-time problem; once the duplicates are eliminated, they won't come back.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rpgarrett75703
    My experience is that if you delete the new ones they will download again. It already happened several times to me. I never tried deleting the originals since it would be so time consuming, but I may eventually try that if they download again.
  • After I did the conversion, I also had duplicate transactions in my accounts. I restored to a previous backup and will stay on direct connect and try again later in the month (when support ends for it) hoping it will work better by then.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Duplicates are a byproduct of this conversion. Chase has different ID numbers for transactions from EWC+ than Direct Connect, so Quicken cannot tell they are the same. Once they download once, they won't download again. If you make sure all your existing transactions are reviewed, then when you download after the switch, all your newly-downloaded transactions will be marked as unreviewed, and it should be easy to delete the duplicates just by filtering for unreviewed transactions. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    FYI, I had no duplicates. I guess that's a product of good living? :)
  • evsteve
    evsteve Member ✭✭
    @jacobs i'm dealing 2 banks, chase and bank of america. for all 3 accounts (1 cc with chase, checking and cc with bofa), starting with a backup (pre connection changes) i downloaded (old connection method) and reconciled (and backed up again). then i made the connection changes. downloaded chase and deleted the new duplicates, downloaded again and all's well. with bofa i downloaded (now after connection change) and deleted duplicates. downloaded bofa again and the dupes came in again. so in short, chase behavior was as you described, bofa not so much.
  • evsteve
    evsteve Member ✭✭
    @jacobs interestingly this latest experience with BofA it's only duplicating transactions since Sep 01. When I did this earlier in the week it looked like it was going back 90 days (making dupes of the last 90 days of transactions). since there are so many fewer this time i'm going to try deleting the originals, keeping the duplicates.
  • DanielC
    DanielC Member ✭✭
    Same problem with duplicates. Hopefully this will resolve itself soon.
  • mapleosb
    mapleosb Member ✭✭✭
    Also, still getting duplicates. Which ones to delete, those already cleared, or, the newest ones? They cannot be merged together because the FTID codes are different as was mentioned.
  • rpgarrett75703
    I currently maintain 2 copies of my Quicken file. One using Direct Connect and the other EWC+ since EWC+, in my opinion, is not ready for primetime. When I first converted to EWC+ it downloaded some old transactions that were already cleared and reconciled so I just deleted them but periodically since then have been downloaded again. One time I decided to accept them but that just resulted in duplicate transactions that had to be removed. Yesterday I updated Quicken to the latest release. Today I did an OSU on both files. My Direct Connect version downloaded some transactions into my Chase Checking and Credit card accounts and all was fine after accepting them. The EWC+ downloaded the same files (which were matched to existing register entries) but also downloaded some old transactions (8 for the Checking account and 29 for the Credit Card) that were previously reconciled and appeared as "New" transactions to be accepted. For the Checking account I accepted them and marked them as reconciled after deleting the originals. In the past I always deleted the downloaded duplicates but wanted to see if this would prevent future duplicate downloads. The credit card had 32 downloaded transactions, 3 matched and 29 old dating back to 6/10/2022. I reconciled my Direct Connect Chase CC account yesterday but held off on the EWC+ version since 3 transactions had yet to download. Those 3 downloaded today. I decided to reconcile the account without accepting the 29 old transactions but without deleting them. I couldn't reconcile to the online balance since the EWC+ online balance included some pending transactions. So I decided to reconcile to the paper statement instead. After the account was reconciled the 29 downloaded transactions disappeared from the list of downloaded transactions to be accepted. It still indicated there were 29 transactions waiting to be processed but they were no longer in the list. Instead of a "Done" button in the now empty list there was a "Finish Later" button. When I clicked "Finish Later" it no longer indicated there were 29 downloaded transactions waiting to be accepted. I have no idea where they went or why they disappeared. For the heck of it I restored the EWC+ file and repeated the OSU. This time instead of reconciling to the paper statement I just decided to accept all of the downloaded transactions and as expected they were added as duplicates to the register. Thank God for backups! With just a few weeks away from Direct Connect going away Quicken using EWC+ for Chase is definitely not ready for primetime!
  • rpgarrett75703
    Yes I continue to get duplicates as well.  If you just deleted them, they will return at some point as happened to me on several occasions. The whole EWC+ experience is so unstable that I dread that once Direct Connect goes away we will have nothing left to fall back on. I think Chase and Quicken needs to postpone sunsetting Direct Connect until the EWC+ user experience stabilizes.
  • evsteve
    evsteve Member ✭✭
    Now, for the first time is several days, I've opened and downloaded Bank of America. And yet again I have duplicates after carefully removing them previously twice, once removing the new ones, and once removing the old reconciled one, a pretty tedious process. Bank of America or Quicken Please get this fixed!!!!
  • evsteve
    evsteve Member ✭✭
    this has happened with Chase credit card as well.
  • bsheaca
    bsheaca Member
    Direct Connect going away and Quicken using EWC+ for Chase is definitely not ready for primetime! It seems to me that I should be able to delete the new Chase account that was automatically added when I followed the instructions to switch over to EWC. Presumably that would get rid of all the existing duplicate transactions as well as to stop continuing to add more duplicates. What a mess!
  • kurtkrum
    kurtkrum Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. Deleted duplicates more than once. Didn't anyone test this before releasing it to the world?
This discussion has been closed.