Ctrl + B no longer works with one account

Mike Rubin
Mike Rubin Member ✭✭
My other accounts bring up a backup dialogue when I press Ctrl + B, but my most-used account no longer does. It used to, but now nothing happens. Instead, I have to press the backup icon on the menu bar and then do a multiple step backup. As I back up to four separate locations (one on a non-boot data drive, one to Microsoft OneDrive, and two to USB drives), that's a lot of keystrokes to bring up what used to come up when I pressed Ctrl + B or clicked on the backup icon.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to clarify your issue.  Backups are made of the whole file, not an account.  It shouldn't matter where you are in Quicken, Ctrl+B should bring up the Backup window.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Mike Rubin
    Mike Rubin Member ✭✭
    Sorry, I meant "files." I have four files with groups of accounts in each, one per financial institution.

The other three back up just fine with the Ctrl+B dialogue. The fourth file, with several accounts for one of the banks, won't work with Ctrl+B at all.

I can't think of anything else to add that would clarify. What other information would be useful for you to have?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have your banks set up in separate Files?  That sounds weird.  May I ask the reason?  You should have all your finances, banks and accounts in the same data file.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I meant "files." I have four files with groups of accounts in each, one per financial institution.

The other three back up just fine with the Ctrl+B dialogue. The fourth file, with several accounts for one of the banks, won't work with Ctrl+B at all.

I can't think of anything else to add that would clarify. What other information would be useful for you to have?
    When you do Ctrl+B, what happens?  Nothing?  Error message?  Can you do a plain Windows copy of the .QDF file to where the backup file would be saved (checking privs)?

• Mike Rubin
    Mike Rubin Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > @splasher said:
    > When you do Ctrl+B, what happens?  Nothing?  Error message?  Can you do a plain Windows copy of the .QDF file to where the backup file would be saved (checking privs)?

Nothing happens at all with Ctrl+B. I, however, can click on the Backup icon and go through the two step process of bringing up the file save dialogue using that method.

Windows copy works fine.

Thanks for the follow-up.
  • Mike Rubin
    Mike Rubin Member ✭✭
    > @volvogirl said:
    > You have your banks set up in separate Files?  That sounds weird.  May I ask the reason?  You should have all your finances, banks and accounts in the same data file.  

I deal with four banks and have an average of three asset and debit accounts at each. I would rather load a new file when reconciling than wade through a list of twelve. If that's weird, I plead guilty.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > When you do Ctrl+B, what happens?  Nothing?  Error message?  Can you do a plain Windows copy of the .QDF file to where the backup file would be saved (checking privs)?

Nothing happens at all with Ctrl+B. I, however, can click on the Backup icon and go through the two step process of bringing up the file save dialogue using that method.

Windows copy works fine.

Thanks for the follow-up.
    I'm out of suggestions.  I tried several different Preference settings and could not get it to not work.

• Mike Rubin
    Mike Rubin Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > I'm out of suggestions.  I tried several different Preference settings and could not get it to not work.

Thanks for trying. I appreciate it.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look for weird coincidences ...
    For example, you're in the middle of entering a transaction or filling out a popup dialog form and changes have not been saved. I could understand if CTRL-B would give you a "ding" error sound instead of starting the backup process.
    Also, have you checked in Edit / Preferences / Backup that "Manual Backup reminder" has a checkmark (is enabled)?
  • Mike Rubin
    Mike Rubin Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Look for weird coincidences ...
    > For example, you're in the middle of entering a transaction or filling out a popup dialog form and changes have not been saved. I could understand if CTRL-B would give you a "ding" error sound instead of starting the backup process.Also, have you checked in Edit / Preferences / Backup that "Manual Backup reminder" has a checkmark (is enabled)?

Thanks for this. As it happens, the problem may have solved itself, at least for now. When I started the application last night, it downloaded and installed the latest version. Ctrl+B seems to be working again, even after a couple of exits and restarts. Fingers crossed.
This discussion has been closed.