Is There A Shortcut for Reconciling Transactions? (i.e., Chg "c" to "R" in register)

Options
Larry1212
Larry1212 Member ✭✭
After I download transactions from the credit card company I look at each one, if I recognize the transaction and Quicken has listed the memorized category correctly, I change the "c" (cleared) to an "r" (reconciled) in the CLR column in the register (1st mouse click), and then click on the disk icon to save the transaction (2nd mouse click). See attached file. I am aware of the automated reconciliation available in Quicken, but I want to view each transaction AND its category before I accept it.

Is there a SINGLE keyboard shortcut to change the "c" to an "r" AND accept the transaction?
The CTRL+R command merely brings up a new window to select paper or online balances. Using that method, from the example in the help section I can see the payee and amount, but not the auto-assigned category.

We have many transactions per month, so going through each one with multiple mouse clicks is cumbersome, so a keyboard shortcut would be great!

For example: What would be ideal would be to click on CTRL+A (for example) and Quicken changes the "c" to the "r" and then saves the transaction, then moves to the next transaction.

Note: CTRL+A is already used in Quicken, but you get the idea.

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Here is your response to my response and a further comment:

Larry1212 said:
    Thanks Splasher, but the issue is that I can't see the assigned categories that Quicken automatically assigns to each transaction with CTRL+R process. 80% of the time Quicken assigns the correct category, but not always. I don't want to change the "C" to an "R" until I know the category is correct. If I accept the transaction then I have to go find it to check it in the register it is even more cumbersome. I posted a new question with a pic to make it clearer (unfortunately, I did not realize I could edit this current question).
    Quicken assigns a category during the download process and you see that as you as accept them from the downloaded transactions tab, NOT when they are reconciled.  The only thing that the Reconcile (CTRL+R) changes is the CLR status from C to R.  Since you are accepting and reconciling in one step, it would look like the reconcile is adding the category, but it isn't.  You can see this by saving the transaction prior to doing the reconcile to prove my statement.

If you create Memorized Payees (MP) for your more common transactions and use Renaming Rules to ensure that the download payee is changed to the Memorized Payee, you can predetermine the category in the Memorized Payee entry.  I create my MPs with $0 and lock them so that any changes I might make to the end transaction does not change the stored MP "template".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    FWIW, Quicken used to have a more convenient process, but it led to many users mistakenly changing the status. As such several years ago they switched to this slightly more difficult but more reliable process. 

I tend to agree you are making this a bit more difficult by manually changing each transaction. 

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since you decided to start a new thread and essentially delete the original, here is my original response.

I don't know of a short cut, but I think you are combining two steps into one in your process.  I, too, accept my downloaded transactions one at a time ensuring that they are correct and valid, but I do it more often than once a month, so the job is not so onerous.
    I consider accepting the transactions as clearing "C" them.  The downloads don't get into my account without my explicit approval.
    When the financial institution statement shows up, I do a reconcile (Ctrl+R) and then make sure that all of the transactions on the statement have been marked with a checkmark, that should show a $0 difference in the lower right corner of the Reconcile window.
    With the $0 difference, I then agree to the reconcile and Quicken changes all of the "C" to "R" and the account is reconciled for that month.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Here is your response to my response and a further comment:

Larry1212 said:
    Thanks Splasher, but the issue is that I can't see the assigned categories that Quicken automatically assigns to each transaction with CTRL+R process. 80% of the time Quicken assigns the correct category, but not always. I don't want to change the "C" to an "R" until I know the category is correct. If I accept the transaction then I have to go find it to check it in the register it is even more cumbersome. I posted a new question with a pic to make it clearer (unfortunately, I did not realize I could edit this current question).
    Quicken assigns a category during the download process and you see that as you as accept them from the downloaded transactions tab, NOT when they are reconciled.  The only thing that the Reconcile (CTRL+R) changes is the CLR status from C to R.  Since you are accepting and reconciling in one step, it would look like the reconcile is adding the category, but it isn't.  You can see this by saving the transaction prior to doing the reconcile to prove my statement.

If you create Memorized Payees (MP) for your more common transactions and use Renaming Rules to ensure that the download payee is changed to the Memorized Payee, you can predetermine the category in the Memorized Payee entry.  I create my MPs with $0 and lock them so that any changes I might make to the end transaction does not change the stored MP "template".

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    FWIW, Quicken used to have a more convenient process, but it led to many users mistakenly changing the status. As such several years ago they switched to this slightly more difficult but more reliable process. 

I tend to agree you are making this a bit more difficult by manually changing each transaction. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is my understanding that the change wasn't because people were mistakenly changing the status.
    It just changed because one of the "modernizations" efforts they were doing at the time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Larry1212
    Larry1212 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Splasher and Q_Lurker. Thanks for your comments, and I agree it was a lot of effort to manually accept each transaction. Based on your suggestions, my new method will be to note the date range of the new transactions, reconcile them all with CTRL+R if I recognize them, and then go back and check the categories of the transactions within the downloaded date range to ensure they are correct. Spasher thanks for your method of keeping the MP's locked. That has been part of the problem, Quicken kept on trying to update my transactions. Thanks to your both for responding and making my life a little easier!
This discussion has been closed.