Why is Quicken SOOOOOO bad at trying to match securities?

mattyf
mattyf Member
I have an investment account that is pretty actively managed, so I get presented with the "Matching Security" dialog a LOT. And 99% of the time it is wrong. It often defaults to "Yes. This matches the security selected below," and it never ever does. Like its always wrong. And stupidly wrong. Here's a typical example:

Matches "Vanguard Scottsdale Funds Vanguard Intermediate term Treasury ETF (VGIT)" to
"Vanguard Scottsdale Funds Vanguard Long Term Treasury ETF (VGLT)"

Neither the name NOR the ticker symbol match, so what is making Quicken think this is a match? And is there a way to force it to default to always choose to create a new security? Not do that automatically, just have that option be the one that is selected by default?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the name comparison only looks at the first 25 or so characters of the name. Your example matches 35 characters in. Why is your brokerage prepending the Vanguard Scottsdale verbiage?

There is no way to alter the default selection. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    I believe the name comparison only looks at the first 25 or so characters of the name. Your example matches 35 characters in. Why is your brokerage prepending the Vanguard Scottsdale verbiage?

Can't the security name just be changed?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    q_lurker said:

Can't the security name just be changed?
    Yes.  If the user renames the Quicken version from say "Vanguard Scottsdale Funds Vanguard Long Term Treasury ETF (VGLT)" to the simpler (more accurate) "Vanguard Long Term Treasury ETF (VGLT)", then when maybe "Vanguard Scottsdale Funds Vanguard Short Term Treasury ETF (????)" or similar gets downloaded, it would not match to any existing (in Quicken) security and Quicken should default to the new security option.  
This discussion has been closed.