Chase migration eliminated all of my 'category' tags for the last year of entries

BethE
BethE Member ✭✭
This migration did not go smoothly. First, instructions should have been provided that we needed to deactivate the automatic download for the account, then do the new set up steps, because only then will it let you link to an existing account. Second, the category tags, for most of my entries, for entries that were reconciled and are as much as a year old, are now gone. Why did this migration get rid of the category tags? Strangely, it didn't get rid of all of them, but most of them. It's just blank now, where it used to be categorized. What do I have to do now, redo all of this?? Are you kidding me?? Last, I truly dislike that the download now adds the Payee wording, in all caps, also to the Memo field. I don't need it duplicated, and it's an enormous pain to delete it out of each entry.

I think I need to figure out a way to go back in time to a backup from a week or so ago, simply to get all of the categories for Chase... but then what do I do? Close my Chase accounts? Because I already dislike this bank, and this just adds to my frustration. And what is the point of using Quicken for the last 30+ years, categorizing entries and managing a budget, if an upgrade get rid of all of it??

Comments

• Hello @BethE,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

This is a known issue that has been escalated internally, though we do not have an ETA on resolution. While the investigation remains ongoing, please refer to this Community Alert for any and all available updates.

In the meantime, we also advise that you contact Quicken Support directly for assistance in getting this matter cleaned up and restored.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris Bergerson
    Chris Bergerson Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    It was a disaster for me also. Not only did Quicken recategorize dozens of reconciled transactions, but it also renamed payees, some of which I could not correct because they were online payments. For those I get "This payment must be canceled before you can change it."

I too am a 30+ year user who is rapidly reaching his limit with Quicken.
  • same thing happened to me. Seems like it only happened from June transactions on. I wish there was a competitor to quicken, every update seems to be getting worse and worse.
  • gsakal02134
    gsakal02134 Member ✭✭
    I had a similar experience. My work-around at present is as follows:
    - Restore from backup made before I attempted the Chase migration
    - When updating/downloading transactions, when prompted to "Reauthorize", I click "Do this later". For the present at least, transactions continue to download as they did before.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Quicken Inc will come out with a fix, but if this was happening to me I would try this.
    First deactivate all the banking/credit card accounts (not investment accounts because they have yet to change these over to Express Web Connect +).
    Next use Tools -> Add Account, and then select the Chase icon to re-authorize. When you get to the dialog where you are to link your Quicken accounts to the online accounts, select to add a new account instead.

Hopefully this will result in a new account and nothing changed in your old accounts.  Then from there using this procedure to move any missing/old transactions from the old account to the new one.
    FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts? — Quicken

I would also test at this point that One Step Update doesn't trash the new accounts, but make sure you do a backup before testing that.

Yes, it is a pain to have to do this kind of merging, but it might be the only way to get a good result.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gsakal02134
    gsakal02134 Member ✭✭
    I just now (9/15) got an email from Quicken advising that this migration is MANDATORY, and must be completed by 26 September, or I will no longer be able to download transactions. Will this migration mess be cleaned up by then? Might we expect a true step-by-step procedure for accurately transferring data from the existing account to the new instance that the transition will create? PLEASE????
  • bransdell
    bransdell Member ✭✭
    I'm in the process of doing cleanup from this debacle. I'm having trouble understanding how this would not have been uncovered in testing prior to rolling out the changes. I have a backup copy from before the change and there is documentation about how to copy/paste multiple transactions between two data files but I have only been able to get this to work for single transactions. Not a desirable solution at all as I have to keep closing and reopening the two data files. I'm going to try use a QXF file next but if anyone has any simpler solutions for copying multiple transactions between two data file, suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Oh my goodness! Quicken, you totally failed. My accounts are off by thousands of dollars, categories are missing, and transactions have been renamed. What am I supposed to do with this?! It will take me HOURS and HOURS to get this mess sorted. I am an extremely unhappy customer after over 30 years of being a loyal Quicken user. How could this have gotten through your testing before release? You've really dropped the ball here.
  • dlbfsa
    dlbfsa Member ✭✭
    Thank you for all the help in this thread. I worked on this problem most of the day and here's what I found that the update did: added a bogus opening balance (in 2015) to my checking account, removed categories (including split categories for paychecks, mortgage payments, etc) or changed them to the same account for all transfers (bill payments either pushed or pulled, PayPal, Zelle) back to June, changed the description of transfers, changed all transfers from reconciled to just cleared, changed memos. For intra-bank transfers, had right description but categorized to sending, not receiving bank. One of my credit cards also lost a bunch of categories on the transactions. I THINK I have this fixed now. Thankfully new transactions are downloading. I did it by printing register and balance reports from a backup and comparing the transactions to the screwed up current.
  • Amo1
    Amo1 Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja, given the number of issues being posted, why is Quicken not delaying the mandatory Sept 26 date for migration?  It would seem foolish to force so many customers to migrate, only to have the customers spend hours trying to fix issues that you are already aware of, as well as your team spending hours trying to resolve issues and responding to upset customers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Amo1 said:
    @Quicken Anja, given the number of issues being posted, why is Quicken not delaying the mandatory Sept 26 date for migration?  It would seem foolish to force so many customers to migrate, only to have the customers spend hours trying to fix issues that you are already aware of, as well as your team spending hours trying to resolve issues and responding to upset customers.
    It is Chase that decides the cutoff date, not Quicken Inc.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amo1 said: @Quicken Anja, given the number of issues being posted, why is Quicken not delaying the mandatory Sept 26 date for migration?
    For any of these EWC+ migrations - they are being initiated, mandated, and driven by the BANK - NOT Quicken -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Amo1
    Amo1 Member ✭✭✭
    Understood.  I guess then my question would then shift to why are there so many issues that are being found by customers and not Quicken?  They have had months to anticipate, test and mitigate potential issues.  
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amo1 said: Understood.  I guess then my question would then shift to why are there so many issues that are being found by customers and not Quicken?  They have had months to anticipate, test and mitigate potential issues.  
    good question...... no answers -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.