Printing a sub-category within another category when top level has zero total

KlisterKid
KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
I have created sub-categories that are within sub-categories and are within a category. Occasionally, the top level of a sub-category has no total but the sub-categories do; e.g., a sub for recreational vehicles (RVs) within auto expenses, within RVs are sub-categories for parts, labor, service, and other.
Tagged:

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    That sounds normal. Are you encountering problems?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have created sub-categories that are within sub-categories and are within a category. Occasionally, the top level of a sub-category has no total but the sub-categories do; e.g., a sub for recreational vehicles (RVs) within auto expenses, within RVs are sub-categories for parts, labor, service, and other.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    If I create sub-categories within a category, I am unable to print the category. When I right click on the category I don't even see "category report" as an option. Only when a category or sub-category do I see an option to print the report.
  • KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    With this example I have entries for x-port (excluding sports) that a number exceeding zero and sub-categories with numbers exceeding zero.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I create sub-categories within a category, I am unable to print the category. When I right click on the category I don't even see "category report" as an option. Only when a category or sub-category do I see an option to print the report.
    That popup report in the Category List appears to only apply to the selected category itself and excludes subcategories. You can see the transactions for, e.g., RecVeh:Labor only, but selecting the parent category RecVeh does not show a report for the subcategories of it.
    If you wish to see summary or transaction detail reports showing subtotals for each subcategory and rollup totals for each parent category, you need to select a report from the Reports Menu or Reports & Graphs Center. Try Spending by Category for amount totals over time. Or try the Itemized Categories report for a summary view. This report can be expanded to show subtotals for each category and subcategory: click the "Update to Show" button in the report view to drill down from summary to detail levels.
    The Budget view, when set to the Annual view, will also show how much you have spent or received for each category by month. If you have set up a budget, you will see if you're above or below budget for each category.

This discussion has been closed.