Problems with Fidelity Downloads - Positions Incorrect, and Shares in Transactions Missing

gkm981GTS
gkm981GTS Member ✭✭
Downloads from Fidelity have worked almost flawlessly for me for 20 years. Just recently, I started having issues. First with regard to holdings: My holdings within Quicken match what I have at Fidelity (as viewed on the Fidelity web page). However, for several holdings, Quicken says there is a mismatch, and lists an incorrect number of shares at Fidelity. This has happened for only 2 of my 7 or 8 Fidelity accounts. In one of these accounts several holdings are listed by Quicken as having 2600 shares at Fidelity. This share count is wrong for all of these positions. Again, if I go into the portfolio (both on Quicken and at the Fidelity web site) the positions agree, but when I download transactions on go to the Online Center in Quicken, Quicken indicates that there is a discrepancy.

The second issue is that lately downloaded security buys or sells do not include the share counts or the share prices. I get a transaction with the correct security name, the correct action, and the correct commission, but no share count or share price. I have no idea what's going on with this, but it makes the downloaded transactions almost worthless.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Quicken has gotten so buggy over the last year. I typically have crashes 2 or 3 times during each session. I have a big file, but this is ridiculous.

Answers

• ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have what might be a similar problem. After years of flawless downloads I am now getting an issue where there is an inconsistency between the holdings in Quicken and the holdings on the last statement download from within Quicken. This affects 5 holdings out of over 100. If I download the holdings directly from Fidelity from the Fidelity website and review them in an Excel spreadsheet, all holdings match the holdings in Quicken.

The holdings in the statement download which is part of the Quicken update process does not match either the holdings in Quicken or the manually downloaded statement.  This leads to Quicken suggesting the Placeholder Transactions to make up the difference in the five holdings. I've run File Validations and the inconsistencies have persisted. This started just a few days ago. 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming the transactions missing the number of shares and share price are option transactions, it sounds like you have the issue that started with the recent version 45.xx versions. Please see this recent post discussing the same issue for a solution:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7924115/e-trade-transaction-download-stopped-including-number-of-shares#latest

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Assuming the transactions missing the number of shares and share price are option transactions, it sounds like you have the issue that started with the recent version 45.xx versions. Please see this recent post discussing the same issue for a solution:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7924115/e-trade-transaction-download-stopped-including-number-of-shares#latest

Actually I don't have any option trades. All of the issues are with straight stock trades. The trades show up properly and they are interpreted properly by Quicken when they are downloaded. The issue arises in the "Holdings" table which is accessed through the link in the upper left corner of Account activity display. When you click on the "Holdings" link (a box in the upper left corner), a list of the holdings is displayed. At the end of that list of holdings there is a section entitled "Account Status" which contains a few links. One of the links is "Last Statement Download Date". If I click on that date the statement holdings are displayed. On the table with the holdings that is displayed there is a box at the upper right that says "Compare to Portfolio". That result is displaying several stock holdings that have a number of shares that is different from the number that is in the Quicken account. That is giving rise to suggested "Placeholder" entries. 

The issue is that my Quicken account holdings are consistent with the Fidelity holdings displayed on the Fidelity website. But the "Downloaded Statement" apparently is showing something different. I do not know how to access the information that is in that downloaded statement. 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @ciarmer,

You said "One of the links is "Last Statement Download Date"."  That link is actually a date - can you tell me what that date is? In addition - just above it there is another date - the "Last Reconcile" date - can you tell me what that date is?

With respect to the differences in the number of shares - can you tell me the names of the holdings aand the differences in number of shares of each holding.  If you don't feel comfortable providing that data, can you at least give some indication of the magnitude of those differences - a few shares, more than 10, more than 100?

BTW - you can see the data that Quicken is using to compare your current holdings in Quicken to - for that "Compare to Portfolio" by clicking on the "Balances tab" in that same window.  And at the top it indicates the date being used in the compare.

And lastly, another question (assuming that some of your stocks pay dividends) - do you reinvest your dividends?  If the answer is yes, and if  differences that are being reported are fairly small, the problem likely would be timing in the reinvestment of dividends.

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mshiggins
    ciarmer said:
    mshiggins said:

Actually I don't have any option trades. All of the issues are with straight stock trades. The trades show up properly and they are interpreted properly by Quicken when they are downloaded. The issue arises in the "Holdings" table which is accessed through the link in the upper left corner of Account activity display. When you click on the "Holdings" link (a box in the upper left corner), a list of the holdings is displayed. At the end of that list of holdings there is a section entitled "Account Status" which contains a few links. One of the links is "Last Statement Download Date". If I click on that date the statement holdings are displayed. On the table with the holdings that is displayed there is a box at the upper right that says "Compare to Portfolio". That result is displaying several stock holdings that have a number of shares that is different from the number that is in the Quicken account. That is giving rise to suggested "Placeholder" entries. 

The issue is that my Quicken account holdings are consistent with the Fidelity holdings displayed on the Fidelity website. But the "Downloaded Statement" apparently is showing something different. I do not know how to access the information that is in that downloaded statement. 
    The two issues - options trades missing share count / share price and the securities comparison mismatch - both seem to be occurring with 45.xx versions. 

• ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankx said:
    Hi @ciarmer,

You said "One of the links is "Last Statement Download Date"."  That link is actually a date - can you tell me what that date is? In addition - just above it there is another date - the "Last Reconcile" date - can you tell me what that date is?

With respect to the differences in the number of shares - can you tell me the names of the holdings aand the differences in number of shares of each holding.  If you don't feel comfortable providing that data, can you at least give some indication of the magnitude of those differences - a few shares, more than 10, more than 100?

BTW - you can see the data that Quicken is using to compare your current holdings in Quicken to - for that "Compare to Portfolio" by clicking on the "Balances tab" in that same window.  And at the top it indicates the date being used in the compare.

And lastly, another question (assuming that some of your stocks pay dividends) - do you reinvest your dividends?  If the answer is yes, and if  differences that are being reported are fairly small, the problem likely would be timing in the reinvestment of dividends.

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Thanks so much for your time and help. I appreciate it. 

The last statement download date is 11/22/2022. That's today's date. The discrepancy started a couple of days ago and that date has changed, of course, each day as I update each morning. But the amounts of the discrepancies have been constant since this started. 

The Last Reconcile date is 6/16/2021. I've not really seen the need to reconcile my investment accounts as the account balances and holdings in Quicken have always closely tracked with the actual online account balances and holdings. 

I'll provide you with the holdings and differences in the number of shares for each holding. To me, it looks like Quicken is misreading the downloaded statement based on the following results:

Securities Comparison Mismatch:

Security:      Shares Reported      Shares in Quicken    Difference
    Security A         31,379.694                      20                   31,359.694
    Security B         31,379.694                       8                    31,371.694
    Security C         31,379.694                      51                   31,328.694
    Security D         31,379.694                      57                   31,322.694

The shares reported for the four securities is obviously nothing near the actual. The shares in Quicken are correct. The other significant oddity is that there is a single holding in the portfolio that does have a current number of shares reported of 31,379.694 and that number is correct for that particular holding. That particular holding is not one of the above holdings.

The holdings in Quicken for the entire account tie in very nicely to the numbers in the "Balances" tab. 

I do not reinvest dividends in this account but I think it is clear from the above that the problem isn't a dividend accounting issue. 

Strange.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Hi again @ciarmer,

I don't use this expression very much in this forum - but WOW!

That data is unreal - and I mean that both figuratively and literally.  I've never seen that type of data corruption before.

My best guess is that your data is corrupted (as noted above).  You have two options:

Your could contact Quicken Support for assistance. Or, if you don't want to do that, I would strongly suggest that you restore a good backup file from a time before you first noted this issue.

Please revert if you have any followups and also keep me informed of your outcomes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• mshiggins
    Frankx said:
    Hi again @ciarmer,

That data is unreal - and I mean that both figuratively and literally.  I've never seen that type of data corruption before.

My best guess is that your data is corrupted (as noted above).  You have two options:

Your could contact Quicken Support for assistance. Or, if you don't want to do that, I would strongly suggest that you restore a good backup file from a time before you first noted this issue.

Please revert if you have any followups and also keep me informed of your outcomes.

Frankx
    Before hitting the panic button, why not try reverting to a pre 45.xx version? 

• ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Frankx said:
    Hi again @ciarmer,

Frankx

I attempted a few backups. The interesting part about this is that no matter how old the backup file was the errors still emerged. And the errors only happen on those same four holdings even though there are more than 100 holdings. I first tried a backup from a week ago. Then a month ago and finally two months ago (which I had to download from offsite storage). Same holdings involved. I did not have this issue a week ago or a month ago. I would have noticed it very quickly. It is a new issue which leads me to believe that it is not data corruption (although that is clearly what it might look like at first blush).

It could very well have something to do with a Quicken version update. It is quite possible there is something about the attributes of those four holdings that is creating this. I am still trying to determine what these four holdings have in common.

I am using Quicken Version R45.11; Is there a process that is documented somewhere for reverting to a version prior to 45.xx?
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Update - The four securities that are involved in this "mismatch" are, for some reason, being treated differently from all other securities in the account. If I click on the "date" in the "Last Statement Download" I get the table with four Tabs (Transactions, Balances, Holdings and Quick Info). When I click on "Holdings", I can select any one of five Security Types of holdings in a drop down box (Stocks, Mutual Funds, Options and Bonds and Other) -- and I can also select "All". The four securities involved are listed as Stocks in those places where I can see the securities details. However, the only time they appear in the "Last Statement Download" Table is if I select the Security Type "Other" (or "All"). I don't know what prevents these four securities from being treated as stocks. Too much of a coincidence here. Those are the same securities that are showing up as mismatched in the table I presented in my initial post. That leads me to believe that this is more likely a Quicken version issue rather than a corrupted data file. 
  • gkm981GTS
    gkm981GTS Member ✭✭
    > @ciarmer said:
    > I have what might be a similar problem. After years of flawless downloads I am now getting an issue where there is an inconsistency between the holdings in Quicken and the holdings on the last statement download from within Quicken. This affects 5 holdings out of over 100. If I download the holdings directly from Fidelity from the Fidelity website and review them in an Excel spreadsheet, all holdings match the holdings in Quicken.
    >
    > The holdings in the statement download which is part of the Quicken update process does not match either the holdings in Quicken or the manually downloaded statement.  This leads to Quicken suggesting the Placeholder Transactions to make up the difference in the five holdings. I've run File Validations and the inconsistencies have persisted. This started just a few days ago. 

Yes, this is the same problem I am describing, with the additional issue of options trades not including the number of contracts or the price.
  • mshiggins
    ciarmer said:
    mshiggins said:
    Frankx said:
    Hi again @ciarmer,

Frankx

I attempted a few backups. The interesting part about this is that no matter how old the backup file was the errors still emerged. And the errors only happen on those same four holdings even though there are more than 100 holdings. I first tried a backup from a week ago. Then a month ago and finally two months ago (which I had to download from offsite storage). Same holdings involved. I did not have this issue a week ago or a month ago. I would have noticed it very quickly. It is a new issue which leads me to believe that it is not data corruption (although that is clearly what it might look like at first blush).

It could very well have something to do with a Quicken version update. It is quite possible there is something about the attributes of those four holdings that is creating this. I am still trying to determine what these four holdings have in common.

I am using Quicken Version R45.11; Is there a process that is documented somewhere for reverting to a version prior to 45.xx?
    You can get prior version patches here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

Just download and run the earlier patch file to roll back to that version. 

• ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm now trying to roll back from 45.13 to 44.28.

I attempted to run the patch and I'm getting an error message - "Unable to check for updates, the server file failed to load". In the details it says

Could not parse the URL "Customer\AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TMP\current/wyserver.wys" - it's either malformed or is an unknown protocol. 

• elnelson3
    elnelson3 Member ✭✭
    I am having the same "mismatch" issue with Fidelity, although it is just one security. I can see when I log on to Fidelity that the position I expect to see is in fact there. Also, when I view my Fidelity account in the "Online Center" tool in Quicken the number of shares is, again, what I expect to see. However, when the compare is run a mismatch is reported. This just started a few days ago. I am currently using version R45.13.
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    After some additional exploration I believe I've identified the issue. The four securities that are displaying the need for placeholder entries have been reported on Fidelity Statements under a separate category for years. The four securities have one thing in common. They are listed as REITs. Historically, Quicken has treated these in the same way that they have treated stock investments. For whatever reason under one of the more recent Quicken versions they are no longer treated that way and they throw off the errors.

My Quicken data totals for holdings, gains, losses, etc. all tie in to reports from Fidelity. At this point I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone. I'm not inclined to roll back to a previous version as I'm assuming that Quicken will fix this at some point in a future update and in the meantime I'll just continue to ignore the Quicken suggestion for entering placeholders.

Another Quicken update was installed this morning as I wasn't quick enough to answer "no" to the update question. This makes it even more difficult to roll back as my current version (45.13) probably wouldn't be handled correctly by the patch. I'm not sure of this but I don't think there is any harm to just leaving it all alone for now as I have no other issues arising with any of my data or results. 

The members here have been so helpful and I'd still like to get your input on this. Thanks so much!
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    elnelson3 said:
    I am having the same "mismatch" issue with Fidelity, although it is just one security. I can see when I log on to Fidelity that the position I expect to see is in fact there. Also, when I view my Fidelity account in the "Online Center" tool in Quicken the number of shares is, again, what I expect to see. However, when the compare is run a mismatch is reported. This just started a few days ago. I am currently using version R45.13.
    Hi - I think we were posting at the same time. Please take a look at what I just posted. Perhaps it is the exact same issue with the security listed by Fidelity under a separate category called "Other" on their holdings statement. In my case it is four securities and they all happen to be REITs. 
  • gkm981GTS
    gkm981GTS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    > @ciarmer said:
    > After some additional exploration I believe I've identified the issue. The four securities that are displaying the need for placeholder entries have been reported on Fidelity Statements under a separate category for years. The four securities have one thing in common. They are listed as REITs. Historically, Quicken has treated these in the same way that they have treated stock investments. For whatever reason under one of the more recent Quicken versions they are no longer treated that way and they throw off the errors.
    >
    > My Quicken data totals for holdings, gains, losses, etc. all tie in to reports from Fidelity. At this point I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone. I'm not inclined to roll back to a previous version as I'm assuming that Quicken will fix this at some point in a future update and in the meantime I'll just continue to ignore the Quicken suggestion for entering placeholders.
    >
    > Another Quicken update was installed this morning as I wasn't quick enough to answer "no" to the update question. This makes it even more difficult to roll back as my current version (45.13) probably wouldn't be handled correctly by the patch. I'm not sure of this but I don't think there is any harm to just leaving it all alone for now as I have no other issues arising with any of my data or results. 
    >
    > The members here have been so helpful and I'd still like to get your input on this. Thanks so much!

Excellent detective work @ciarmer ! You are correct. All of the securities that I am having issues with are also REITs. For now, I think I will do the same, and just leave everything alone, and hope Quicken handles this ASAP.

However, the issue with options transactions not including the share counts or prices are still occurring, with no obvious explanation. I do a fair amount of options trading, so this is a major issue.

BTW, how do you quote a previous message on this forum? For some reason, by quoted messages do not appear as they should.
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    gkm981GTS said:
    > @ciarmer said:
    > After some additional exploration I believe I've identified the issue. The four securities that are displaying the need for placeholder entries have been reported on Fidelity Statements under a separate category for years. The four securities have one thing in common. They are listed as REITs. Historically, Quicken has treated these in the same way that they have treated stock investments. For whatever reason under one of the more recent Quicken versions they are no longer treated that way and they throw off the errors.
    >
    > My Quicken data totals for holdings, gains, losses, etc. all tie in to reports from Fidelity. At this point I'm inclined to just leave well enough alone. I'm not inclined to roll back to a previous version as I'm assuming that Quicken will fix this at some point in a future update and in the meantime I'll just continue to ignore the Quicken suggestion for entering placeholders.
    >
    > Another Quicken update was installed this morning as I wasn't quick enough to answer "no" to the update question. This makes it even more difficult to roll back as my current version (45.13) probably wouldn't be handled correctly by the patch. I'm not sure of this but I don't think there is any harm to just leaving it all alone for now as I have no other issues arising with any of my data or results. 
    >
    > The members here have been so helpful and I'd still like to get your input on this. Thanks so much!

Excellent detective work @ciarmer ! You are correct. All of the securities that I am having issues with are also REITs. For now, I think I will do the same, and just leave everything alone, and hope Quicken handles this ASAP.

However, the issue with options transactions not including the share counts or prices are still occurring, with no obvious explanation. I do a fair amount of options trading, so this is a major issue.

BTW, how do you quote a previous message on this forum? For some reason, by quoted messages do not appear as they should.
    Hi gkm981GTS - on how I quote a previous message --- Right under your message there are six items that I can click on (FlagQuoteOff TopicUnhelpfulHelpful,  and LOL) I simply click on "Quote" and it takes your entire message an places it in a box and I type a message at the bottom outside that box. That's what I did with this message. I think there is also a way to quote only a part of a message that you are responding to but I'm not really sure how that works. 

The one question that I have left is: How do the Quicken Technical Support people and the developers know that there is an issue with the REIT mismatches? Is it by reading these forum messages? or perhaps through the Super Users? My "do nothing until they fix it" approach assumes that they know there is something wrong that they should be fixing.
  • mshiggins
    @ciarmer,
    There are a number of routes for getting issues reported. Getting the issue prioritized for a fix is somewhat dependent on the severity of the issue and the number of Quicken users affected.  

I would encourage anyone facing this issue to use the in-product Help | Report a Problem to report the issue as that is one mechanism for gauging the number of users affected. 

You can also chat or call support. Be sure to ask for a ticket. 

And sometimes Super Users do flag issues for the moderators to feedback to Quicken product development. 

• elnelson3
    elnelson3 Member ✭✭
    > @ciarmer said:
    > Hi - I think we were posting at the same time. Please take a look at what I just posted. Perhaps it is the exact same issue with the security listed by Fidelity under a separate category called "Other" on their holdings statement. In my case it is four securities and they all happen to be REITs. 

The security I am having an issue with is a Limited Partnership, and it is the only one I own. Like you, I am going to ignore using a placeholder and hope that eventually the issue works itself out.
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. I just reported my experience and used the "in-product Help | Report a Problem"

• gkm981GTS
    gkm981GTS Member ✭✭
    > @ciarmer said:
    > Thank you. I just reported my experience and used the "in-product Help | Report a Problem"

LOL, trying to report a problem using this method. Every time I do (4 times now) the program immediately crashes. That's just great.
  • jersey42
    jersey42 Member ✭✭
    > @ciarmer said:
    >
    I have had the same problem with three securities and now there is a fourth. In all cases the Quicken share totals are correct. But Quicken reports the Fidelity share amounts as ZERO for all four securities. On my Fidelity statement, these securities are listed below the Stocks under an Other category. All of these securities own properties so I am sure they are classified as REITs.

For now, I will continue to ignore. Thanks for discovering what causes the issue.
  • gkm981GTS
    gkm981GTS Member ✭✭
    There was a Quicken update that was downloaded over the weekend, but it did not fix the problem.
  • mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    I'm still having this issue as well.  Just one ticker (out of ~25) in two different Fidelity accounts (same ticker)
  • MaryEason
    MaryEason Member ✭✭✭
    I am also still having this issue... thanks for a quick fix, please
  • warferg
    warferg Member
    I've had this problem since Nov 9, is that an ETA for a fix?
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    I sent another report on this through the Quicken "Report a Problem" facility today (12/15/2022). 
    Within Quicken; Under Help: "Report a Problem". 
  • ciarmer
    ciarmer Member ✭✭✭✭
    The update to Quicken which was installed this morning (12/17/2022) did not address this issue. The documentation of the update stated that it addressed the errors with option trades. I believe the option errors emerged at the same time that the REIT errors began. My REIT holdings are still throwing off suggested placeholders. 
  • martylaz2
    martylaz2 Member ✭✭
    I am also having this same problem. Given we are very close to the end of Calendar Year 2022 and needing to create end-of-year reports, repair of this error is urgently required. What is Quicken's project plan date for release of the repair? Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.