How do I fix my drop down menu (PC)

I posted this question before. The answer given was that I did not have my preferences set correctly, but in fact I did have those checked.
The drop down menus on the toolbar work fine. It is in the body of Quicken -- in the Category List, Split Transactions, and the Bills screen when I want to enter Method/Check and I cannot choose EFT or DEP etc.

(Sorry I went on vacation just after posting before and am just getting back to this because it is driving me crazy!)

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi again @MargaretB

Okay, I suspect that you are right on the potential corruption.  I suggest that you revert to a recent backup of your datafile and see if that fixes the problems.  If it does not, you may want to contact Quicken Support via this LINK, for some more assistance.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please elaborate upon where you're trying  to set this ... it's not entirely clear from your post.
    For example, why would a Category have a  payment method ... when a category can be used with multiple vendors, some of whom might accept EFT and other's not.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Thanks for responding.
    I was making a list of places in the body of Quicken where the drop down menu does not work, for example I mentioned three different places:

* Category List
    * Split transactions
    * Bills screen when I want to enter Method/Check and I cannot choose EFT or DEP etc

Does this clarify?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Hi @MargaretB,

Can you give us some additional information so that we can understand your issues better?

First off - you selected "Quicken on the Web" as a part of your post.  Are these problems occurring when you are using "Quicken on the Web" or when you are using your Quicken program on your computer?

As another example of trying to understand the problems - you talk about three "different places" where you are seeing problems but these are all very different activities, to wit:
    • You mention the "Category List" - exactly what is the problem with that list?  Are you not able to access it?  What can't you do in the list that you are trying to do?
    • You also mention "Split transactions" - are you unable to enter those?  More specific information on what goes wrong when you try to enter such transactions is needed.
    • And on the "Bills screen" issue, it seems like you may be saying that you don't see certain options (such as EFT or Dep) but one would not typically use those when paying bills.
    It seems as though you are seeing a number of problems all at once, and if that is true it could be that your datafile is corrupted - but I really don't have enough information to know that.

Please reply to the above and provide more information so we can help you.

Frankx

(edited to fix a typo)

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Thanks for responding.

Yes you're right I made an error it is Quicken on my computer.

FYI:
    3-4 months ago I could do all of these things.

Category List - I can access it from the main Tools Menu but not when I am within an entry trying to identify the category under which the item is to be placed, I cannot see a list like I used to. I'd type in Medical and used to get a list of items under Medical and choose the correct one.

No I cannot access the Split transactions at all

Bills Screen - I should have called it the Enter Expense Transaction pop up window when I am about to enter a pre-programmed monthly bill. On that screen I want to identify whether the transaction will be check or EFT or...
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again MargaretB,

Okay, thanks for the additional data.

On the "Category List" problem, I believe that your settings may have changed.  To fix that:
    1) Go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Data entry and Quickfill"
    2) I suggest that you select all the boxes that appear on this screenshot:

On the "Split Transactions" issue, it is difficult to know what is happening from what you've said.  However, take a look at the Register Settings as follows:
    1) Go to "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Register"
    2) I suggest that you select the box Automatically enter split data (see screenshot below).

On the "Bills Screen" problem, in the "Enter Expense Transaction" pop-up window - you should see a field labeled "Method/check" > if you click on the down arrow - you should see this:

N.B. - You won't see all of the options in the screenshot because it has been customized, but this is where you can choose the "type" of transaction.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

• Frankx
    Thanks again for answering

1. My preferences were already checked except for Register - split tranactions
    2. Payment Information - the down arrow does NOT work

the down arrow does NOT work anywhere
    Margaret
  • Maybe it is a corrupted file. Earlier this year I had to almost rebuild my history with some of my accounts.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi again @MargaretB

Okay, I suspect that you are right on the potential corruption.  I suggest that you revert to a recent backup of your datafile and see if that fixes the problems.  If it does not, you may want to contact Quicken Support via this LINK, for some more assistance.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    MargaretB said:

the down arrow does NOT work anywhere

Please clarify:
    do you mean "clicking the mouse on the down arrow button does not work" or
    do you mean "pressing the down arrow key on the keyboard (after tabbing into or selecting the Method field to make it active) does not work"?
    If it's the 2nd situation, which down arrow key do you press? The one located in the group of 4 arrow keys or the one within the numeric keypad?
    If you are using the one in the numeric keypad, is NumLock on or off?
  • Clicking the mouse on the arrow bar.

Actually, if I remember part of the category name, the whole category then shows after I begin to type it (won't show whole list like it used to)
    For example if I type 'car' into category box, the phrase car & truck expenses shows. Then I can use the down arrow of the computer (NOT the mouse click), will let me select tires or gas etc.

I think it is corrupted but it's been going on so long I dont want use use a backup that will be months long.

I guess I'll be calling Quicken help.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    Margaret
This discussion has been closed.