different transfer dates (Q Mac)

quickj
quickj Member ✭✭
I have a transfer reminder set up to occur every Friday. Account A posted on Friday, but Account B posted on (Monday). Quicken CHANGED the date of the cleared/posted transaction in Account A to match Account B. This is completely unacceptable. How do I get Quicken to stop doing this? Quicken should be smart enough to know the transaction is the same (since it's linked) while allowing the dates to be different.
Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Is this a transfer within one financial institution, like checking to savings? Or between two financial institutions, like savings to brokerage or checking to credit card?

The posted date which Quicken uses comes directly from the financial institution(s).

When you have a linked transaction in Quicken, it is a single transaction which exists in two accounts. So nothing can be different on the transaction in one account, because it's a single transaction in Quicken's database.

Let's say you pay your credit card bill from your checking account. The money may leave your checking account a day before it's posted in your credit card account. So you have to either accept that the date on one end of the transaction may change by a day, or you can enter the transaction as two separate transactions which can have different attributes. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OR, you can set up and Intermediate "Holding account" and use that to reflect the transfers.
    So, on Friday you transfer the funds from Account A to Holding and on Monday you transfer from Holding to Account B.
    In banking, this Holding account is usually called "Cash Items in Transit"

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• quickj
    quickj Member ✭✭
    It is two different institutions and posts on two different days. What's funny is Simplifi by Quicken is smart enough to recognize different dates for a match without changing them but Quicken by Quicken is not smart enough. It is almost pointless to have a date field if Quicken cannot accurately record transactions on a per account basis. I will have to turn off transaction matching. It has never worked quite right and I made the mistake of turning it on.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You might want to try setting the option in Preferences > Connected Services to change the entered date to the posted date when transactions download. This might result in the posted dates appearing in the two registers. I say "might" because I have not tried this experiment myself.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • quickj
    quickj Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > You might want to try setting the option in Preferences > Connected Services to change the entered date to the posted date when transactions download. This might result in the posted dates appearing in the two registers. I say "might" because I have not tried this experiment myself.

I tried this but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It still forces both sides to have the exact same date. I have turned off automatic linking of categories which will make things much easier for me.
  • quickj
    quickj Member ✭✭
    Correction automatic linking of transactions
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    quickj said:
    I tried this but it doesn't seem to make a difference. It still forces both sides to have the exact same date.
    That's what I expected. As I noted, there is just one transaction in the database, so I don't think it can have a different date in the two accounts it exists in.

quickj said:
    I have turned off automatic linking of categories which will make things much easier for me.
    Might it work better for you to create a scheduled transaction in both accounts? It's 30 extra seconds to  set up, but then you can let each one auto-match on its own and keep its own posted date. You'd just use the generic "Transfer" category (with no account), so the transfers won't be linked, but if you want to get the dates precise in both accounts, that might be a better solution than turning off transaction matching for all your transactions.  
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yet another option might be to simply turn on the Posted date column in the register and put it right next to the Date column. That way you'd have the benefit of having the date the transaction(s) were initiated and the dates they posted right next to each other always in view.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.