Costco Quicken Deluxe

Options
barnhold
barnhold Member
edited January 2023 in Before you Buy
Will the Costco version of Quicken Deluxe work to upgrade my subscription?

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Based on the comments from purchasers at Costco's web site, it does sound like this will add 1 year to your current subscription, so it's not the "new user only" version. If you're buying in person at the store I would go over the box carefully & verify that it is a renewal before buying; if buying online, look it over before opening the box. 

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The box likely won't mention renewal, but the absence of "new user" mentions is that you're lookin for. Also, be aware that if you purchase a boxed version with an activation code inside, you can only enter the code to extend your subscription if your subscription has 6 or fewer months remaining. (They don't want people buying five boxes and trying to use them to add 5 years to their subscription.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jane Robinson
    Options
    How can it be that Quicken Deluxe on line is about $60/year while I can buy Quicken at Costco for MUCH less? Are they the same or different?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How can it be that Quicken Deluxe on line is about $60/year while I can buy Quicken at Costco for MUCH less? Are they the same or different?
    Quicken Inc routinely allows retailers to sale for less than their retail price that they have on their website.  This is in fact a common practice in the retail industry.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Whether you buy from Quicken online, a third-party retailer online, or purchase a box copy, you'll be getting and using the same software. Online retailers who sell download copies actually send you to Quicken's servers to download the software; all they provide is an activation code to credit your subscription account at Quicken.com. When you buy a boxed copy with a CD, the CD contains a startup version of Quicken which immediately connects you to the Quicken servers to download the latest version.

So the only issue with buying a retail box copy is whether the activation code is only for new users, or whether the box and its activation code are so old (older than two years since creation) that Quicken considers the activation code expired. Quicken has worked to reduce discounting in recent years, by selling copies which are only for new users; they want to get ongoing users to pay the regular price for annual renewals. In many cases, they sell and retailers sell discounted copies to new users, but not renewing users. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.